U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:51 PM

24,710 posts, read 45,822,362 times

Advertisements

Nice article in today's NY Times that roach breeding habits are changing due to the roaches being less interested in sugary items.

Gist of the article is that for generations we've poisoned roaches with sucrose-laden baits that attract roaches seeking sweet foods. This caused sweet seeking roaches to die-out to an extent. Those roaches with little appetite for sweets avoided the sugary baits, survived and reproduced in place of sweet eaters.

Excerpt: "The good news for consumers is that pesticide manufacturers share Dr. Wada-Katsumata and Dr. Schal’s enthusiasm for understanding cockroach evolution, and they are actively changing their cockroach-killing formulations to move away from glucose. But given how new this research is, it will take some time for those changes to make their way to the products on our shelves."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 06:11 AM

7,738 posts, read 6,965,096 times
Any advice on mice/rats?

I live in more of a rural area so it kinda comes with the territory. Anyways what happened last year is I'd hear a mouse (assuming a mouse) in the walls. Eventually I thought it died.

Now I have a odd hole in my kitchen wall and I noticed missing parts of bread and other grain foods. I vacuumed (I know I know but droppings looked bad). I put on some eucalyptus oil on a diffuser, put steel wool in the hole (they can't chew it without pain). I put on a youtube sound of various repellants.

I have a unfinished adu along the same wall and I put a fresh trap with peanut butter in there and the kitchen. Yesterday I found one in the ADU, the trap worked...but I hope it's just one. I thought I heard some sounds again.

How long does it take for one of these to be without food? Can a trap attract mice/rats from outside to go in? I'm just not sure how much longer I should leave the traps out.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:31 PM

27,860 posts, read 21,944,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Any advice on mice/rats?

I live in more of a rural area so it kinda comes with the territory. Anyways what happened last year is I'd hear a mouse (assuming a mouse) in the walls. Eventually I thought it died.

Now I have a odd hole in my kitchen wall and I noticed missing parts of bread and other grain foods. I vacuumed (I know I know but droppings looked bad). I put on some eucalyptus oil on a diffuser, put steel wool in the hole (they can't chew it without pain). I put on a youtube sound of various repellants.

I have a unfinished adu along the same wall and I put a fresh trap with peanut butter in there and the kitchen. Yesterday I found one in the ADU, the trap worked...but I hope it's just one. I thought I heard some sounds again.

How long does it take for one of these to be without food? Can a trap attract mice/rats from outside to go in? I'm just not sure how much longer I should leave the traps out.
While there may be a chance of having just the one off mouse, chances are (and it sounds like) you have mice (more than one).

Standard advice is what it has been for ages;

Find and seal all possible points of entry into home.

Clean up and or remove any potential sources of food, water and nesting material.

Launch a determined and planned attack consisting of traps and or poisons.

https://diypestcontrol.com

If you don't find and eliminate all points of entry problem will simply occur again sooner or later. Rodents like other animals leave a scent trail that others can (and will) follow.

Essential oils are basically useless. You have to use enough to point you yourself will get sick of scent, and they quickly dissipate. This and rodents will grow accustomed to scent, and or move to part of home where scent is weaker or non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House