Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:01 PM

41 posts, read 39,536 times

Advertisements

I also hate to use pesticides because there are a lot of bees just outside the worst room in our house for bugs (we get ants). I have found that the type of ants in my area, small brown ants that are attracted to sugar/fat, will not cross lines of cinnamon, orange oil (aka d-limonene), and will cross diatomaceous earth but will die from it eventually. All these are natural non-toxic pest control though d-limonene when concentrated isn't great if you spray it all over yourself lol.

When that's not enough I go for spot poison where the ants are getting in, wait about a day, then caulk it. No bee deaths from spray or poison leaking. HTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
Default How long until roaches are completely gone

I am currently dealing with german roaches. I have a local exterminator. He said my level of infestation was about a 4 or 5 out 10. I am 2 months into treatment. After the first month, I still saw a few here and there. Definitely reduced the number. I then went two weeks without seeing anything. I was soooo happy.

Anyway, I had the second treatment on Friday and today, Tuesday, I saw one adult roach in the kitchen. I cleaned the kitchen for the millionth time, hunted around and didn't see any more. I know that means nothing, though.

My exterminator is using crack and crevice spray and he is also using a gel bait in my cabinets. He also has sticky traps hidden in my kitchen to monitor progress. He doesn't seem concerned that I saw one. He thinks we're already making good progress and it sometimes takes 3 months to get them all. I've followed all of his advice re cleaning & water sources. He also said that whatever it is he used has some type of birth control and/or chemical that will make survivors be deformed.

My question: Should I still expect to see even one?

Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 AM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Yes, but... the stray can be from any number of sources. It could come from a neighbor, have hitchhiked in on groceries, been living in some odd crevice with food, and so on. As long as there are roaches in the world, you may see a stray one. If you REGULARLY see "strays" there is probably still a hot spot.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
Thanks, harry chickpea.

I guess my main concern is twofold: I don't want another re-infestation so I really wish I could figure out how I got them to begin with. I suspect from new kitchen appliances as I started seeing them a month or so after delivery. Also, I want to make sure I haven't missed any nests.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:04 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Bedbugs...paid 2K a year ago to get rid of them, and now they are back...do you think it is a new infestation, or the same one? (Pest people only garauntee for 90 days).

Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Most likely new (assuming single family house). Reproductive cycle is shorter. Adults can live a year, and can survive a while without food, but chances of your not noticing the bites or smell during that pest free year long period are pretty small.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Most likely new (assuming single family house). Reproductive cycle is shorter. Adults can live a year, and can survive a while without food, but chances of your not noticing the bites or smell during that pest free year long period are pretty small.
It's a duplex, but I run both sides... The bedbugs came from a previous tenant. I know that the current tenants aren't shy about getting free used stuff, including bedding.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
It's a duplex, but I run both sides... The bedbugs came from a previous tenant. I know that the current tenants aren't shy about getting free used stuff, including bedding.
You're going to have to stop that or force them to pay the exterminator.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 PM

635 posts, read 753,696 times
Default Pest Isn't Listed / Looking for safe pest spray to use at home

So I haven't found my bug listed that I'm dealing with.....

They kinda look like fireflies, but without the light. I've been noticing them around the doorframe. Also by the doorframe, I'm noticing more spiders. But after reading this post, it seems I need to get rid of this firefly thing and my issue may be resolved. Before in that area, ants were a problem, so I sprayed Raid. Ever since then, ants went away and those firefly bugs die in that section of the house.

I just want a good pest spray (like the pros use) so I can do it once a month for the whole house, just for my peace of mind as I hate bugs. It must be dog-friendly. Suggestions? Or should I just spend money on someone to spray the exterior/interior?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM

If they look like fireflies but are smaller, they could be powder post beetles or the larger false powderpost beetles. Timbor would take care of those or any borers.

There is no need for once a month pest control indoors in 90% of the cases if the hot spots have a dusting of boric acid powder that is left in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House