Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Do you use it everyday? We only have it on maybe 10-15 times a summer (yes CAC, brand new too) and wouldn't dream of spending $10k+ on a new unit unless it actually stops working. We only put a new one in since we did a dormer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrash View Post
Yes, you read that correctly, the outside central A/C unit for our house is a Lennox manufactured in 1981! We bought the house last Aug and the seller spent $500 repairing the A/C system because it leaked and water damaged the ceiling and drywall in the basement but I'm not sure what exactly was replaced. The repair was inside the house - nothing was done to the compressor outside to my knowledge.

The unit seems to work and puts out nice cold air from the vents, but it doesn't cool the house completely down to the temp the thermostat is set for (75 degrees.) I'm contemplating having an A/C tech out for a tuneup and possibly a re-charge, but I'm scared to death of messing with it and have the unit go out.. (our luck with this house has been terrible. The movie "The Money Pit" would be an accurate analogy)

I'm leaning towards "if it's not broke, don't fix it" but it would also be nice if we could get the house temp down a few more degrees. Our bedroom is in the attic and due to the window configuration can't use a window A/C so the central has to work extra hard to cool it off upstairs. '

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks!
Mscrash
The last rental house I bought had central air installed in the 60s, and still had the original unit. I had the unit recharged, and the renters used it that way for a year. The next summer, when it needed to be recharged again, I decided to get some bids on a new unit.

Bids varied widely, but I went with the lowest feasible bid - which was $2400 for an entirely new Central Air System (keep in mind that it was replacing an existing one, so less work had to be done to install it).

The new system has a much higher seer rating, runs far more efficiently, and cools the house just fine. In the long run, it was the right choice to make.

I'd suggest you start saving some money, while using the old unit. If you have a couple thousand saved up by next spring, it won't hurt so bad to put in a new unit.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 PM

14 posts, read 62,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Do you use it everyday? We only have it on maybe 10-15 times a summer (yes CAC, brand new too) and wouldn't dream of spending $10k+ on a new unit unless it actually stops working. We only put a new one in since we did a dormer.
This summer we've had to use it nearly every day. It's been a hot summer so far in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Today it was 91 degrees - yesterday was 93, and it hasn't even gotten humid yet. I'm guessing it will cost us around $150 - $200 per month to run based on last year's bill (ouch).

ms.crash

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
I moved last yr to a place with a 25 yr old AC. The only reason I had a new one installed was because summers here are consistently 90-100 degrees....with even higher heat indices. Otherwise, would have let it die on it's own...

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Air conditioner guy told me "if it ain't broke don't replace it til it stops working and to save your money up til it's time to replace and get at least a 16 seer unit". In the meantime check around for a brand and company that you would be comfortable with doing business and allocate some funds for it when the time comes. If you wait til it goes out and do research at that time you'll lose some comfortable days and may make a bad decision by accepting the first thing that is offered you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House