Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Maybe they like the location more so than the newness of the house Newer houses tend to be in suburbs which tend to have higher performing schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
My two preferences of newer houses are

1. They always have multiple bathrooms, and the bathrooms are huge.
2. Its likely nobody died in them

The downsides of course are

1. New houses are much more likely to be built on former cemetaries
2. The workmanship is far more shoddy
3. In general, the building materials are of lower quality, and most are stick houses.
4. Most are in tract housing
5. They are generally overly big
6. They are more likely to be built on "repurposed" grounds, such as landfills, "reclaimed" land or in areas that used to be mines.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I've had old (late 19th century), older (early and mid 20th century, and new (built in 2002). From my experience I prefer a 20th century house that I could buy with enough money left over to do the changes I would like to fit my tastes and lifestyle. My current 2002 home has cost me every bit as much per-year in repairs as the house I had that was built in 1927.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You know sometimes people admire things because they are beautiful. However, living in one may be impractical for some people. I love some of the cosmetic features of old homes. However, I would find it impractical to live in a house that consists of a series of tiny little box sized rooms. So while I might love to go on an old homes tour I would not want to live in a really old house just because it had some woodwork in it.

My brother lived in an old house in Chicago and it was really pretty but every single room was tiny. I don't understand why anyone ever built rooms that small.
My grandma's 14-room, early 1800s Colonial Georgian (now occupied by my cousin and his family, never having left the family) has huge rooms with 12-ft ceilings and picture windows. Not all historic homes are small/have small rooms. "Old homes" do not come in one architectural style.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My grandma's 14-room, early 1800s Colonial Georgian (now occupied by my cousin and his family, never having left the family) has huge rooms with 12-ft ceilings and picture windows. Not all historic homes are small/have small rooms. "Old homes" do not come in one architectural style.
I am sure that is true but I just remember my brother's house. One of the rooms was so small and had so many breaks in the wall that the room was absolutely jam packed with just the baby's crib and changing table. If I could find a house with the charm and detail of an older home with the proportions of a new house I would love that. There is a lot to like about older houses but most of the ones I have seen are not as practical as new houses.

In my area hurricanes are an issue and there are not may really really old houses still standing.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM

180 posts, read 475,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Didn't say can't. I said we mostly had to buy antiques. We had a mix of old and new, but it's harder/more expensive to find stuff that looks good in a Queen Anne Victorian. And even harder to find functional rather than just decorative stuff. New homes have built ins, but our Victorian had very small ones so we had to buy cupboards - that gets expensive and eats into your space. Silk curtains are more expensive than simple blinds etc and the hardware can get expensive as well. Old stuff (or new stuff that looks old) looks good, but it can be total PITA a lot of the time. YMMV, especially with a home from a different time period.
Boo boo, you did not have to buy silk curtains. That was a personal choice, not because of the house. Old house doesnt equal old stuff. There are lots of furniture and curtains that are even from places like Ikea that would look hella good in an older victorian house. It's all about styling. Sometimes you have to get a little bit more creative with things since the house doesn't already come with built ins. An old armoir from a yard sale, a little sanding and some wood stain, would give it that old antique look without the price.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Yep, I live in a vintage bungalow, myself; one of the vintage styles of single-dwelling homes that is most common in Chicago, there is even a specific Chicago Bungalow style. Mine is not this style, but here is an example of the Chicago bungalow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._2006_0882.jpg

Our bungalow isn't Chicago style, it is more akin to one like this:

http://ftp3.mlsearthview.com/idx/kan.../1784214.0.jpg

The rooms are small, and the walls are quite interrupted by windows, archways, and a variety of built-ins, so arranging furniture and appliances has certain constraints. On the other hand, the built-ins negate the need for quiet a bit of furniture, and are a very practical feature, so it does tend to even out, on our end. We don't have children, though, and our space needs are quite simple by comparison to those of large families.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Boo boo, you did not have to buy silk curtains. That was a personal choice, not because of the house. Old house doesnt equal old stuff. There are lots of furniture and curtains that are even from places like Ikea that would look hella good in an older victorian house. It's all about styling. Sometimes you have to get a little bit more creative with things since the house doesn't already come with built ins. An old armoir from a yard sale, a little sanding and some wood stain, would give it that old antique look without the price.
We bought some silk curtains and made some of them. We could not find anything else that looked good and we looked and looked and looked. We did 'creative' with some of the closets, but in the end it was either a giant time suck or expensive, or both.

Our experience was that owning and decorating an old house is more of a hobby. I already have plenty of hobbies and don't need another one.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I'm definitely in the corner of different strokes for different folks but I don't think that many people would find my 85 y.o. living room particularly creepy- cluttered maybe
[IMG][/IMG]
Even though it is a modest sized house and room, the details in this house would be difficult and prohibitively expensive to replicate in new construction, (a friend of mine rued the day he decided to build a replica of our fireplace in his home- $35k later it's a beautiful fireplace, but...) and it is those details; wood floors, mahogany windows, plaster arches and chunky plaster crown in the ceilings, original hammered sconces.., that I think make for a very warm and architecturally interesting home.

and there is something definitely creepy to me to have a flat, small backyard with nothing more than a rectangle of turf and a redwood fence, maybe a couple of shrubs and a (builder's choice) sapling or two if you're lucky.
I'd rather be in the city but feel like I'm in the woods with mature landscaping and trees, glorious mature trees all around me to ponder at.
[IMG][/IMG]

But again, folks have different priorities, budgets and stages in their lives that dictate much of our housing decisions and those ultimately will override some of our dream desires in them. Just enjoy your life make your home a happy and comfortable place for your family wherever you are.

My daughter would love that room. She spends her time and money to achieve that look and I say power to her.

To me personally, the room is way cluttered and dark. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The downsides of course are

1. New houses are much more likely to be built on former cemetaries

OK This just became my favorite post in this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House