Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I own a rental that's in an HOA....

A guy a block down the street from my residence lost his house to his wife in a divorce. (Fairly nice, middle-income, newer home.) I don't know the details, but apparently he was supposed to paint it. He did -- bright, bright yellow and red. It reminded me of a bloody egg. It got repainted a few months later, thank gawd. I don't know who paid for it that time.
I loooove you owning a rental in the HOA.
(One more person I know that do that)
In fact, I looove when more homes in HOA that cannot sell "turns into" rental at HOA too.

In fact, I personally know 2 Asian restaurant owners who bought into my last HOA hood are renting them out too!!! Making money in a devalued home (big price discount from the other HO).

My friend, & ex-next door neighbour was living with "ME" as someone who rents, & her new neighbour now (also rents; section 8 this time per her & just got robbed)... then there are also many other "examples" from stories of these neighbourhoods also turning into "rentals".

Thus why, I shall NOT be buying into a "HOA hood" with that many chances of turning "rental" potential, either b/c HO can't sell or have foreclosed so others can buy as rental investments...
See... rentals with (high human turnover & traffic) devalues faster than a hood that is established non-rentals & all residential... "true"???

Can't imagine "if" trying to "sell my house" in an HOA (that is supposed to help retain value) that has so many available rentals or competing (list prices) against another home that was rented out & hence have listed at $60K off due to being "run down" & abused on the "inside" (actually 1 of that Asian ladies bought that house as rental at $140K year 2011 that "was" $240K 2008 in that HOA hood, so go figure... I am sure the rest of the HO still there who bought at $290K aren't too happy about that).

HOA = common (80% of new homes built all with HOA, and also many HOA is also popping up in older hoods without) aka good build more... not affecting me in the negative way at all, all positive +++.
No HOA = rare thing in the future.

For me... I rather take "rare" over "common" any day!
Owning land is rare... homes (especially when so much more is still being built even in a weak housing market) is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Many of the HOAs here don't allow rentals.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Most, if not all, HOA's have rules that limit the number of rentals allowed so they won't be over run with renters. The BSer above has no clue of which he speaks...!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Most, if not all, HOA's have rules that limit the number of rentals allowed so they won't be over run with renters. The BSer above has no clue of which he speaks...!
This is a good thing, one of my friends lives in a nearby non-HOA neighborhood that has many renters. Many of tbe homes aren't maintained. Lawns have tall grass, weeds, too many cars parked on the streets and other problems. There are several homes for sale but the owners can't sell, no one wants to buy a home in a neighborhood like that.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
^^^What only one line???
Where are numbers or links or google research?

Hmmm... HOA don't allow rentals huh??
I think MANY actually DO!!!
Why???
Realty = money talks
Profits talk when one cannot sell in a downturn market.
= RENTALS even for HOA community is the "answer" so homes make money & not losing money???

Else there won't be this:

"Subject: SURGE in HOA RENTALS

....There a a ton of valid reasons to limit the number of rentals in a residential complex such as ours.Our complex is small and if we have 12 units, it will make it more difficult for any buyer doing a Freddie or Fannie backed mortgage, not to mention the effect on the appraisal & property values.Our values have dropped no less than 48% from their peak.We are on our 3rd foreclosure with another coming.We have a great potential to have 10 rentals.Long term owners have recently sold & negotiated prices that have created terrible comps yet these owners were able to have great profits, but those comps have killed our values.... All the people that are doing "Strategic defaults" are now becoming renters and unless someone is planning on living in a home for several years, there is really no upside to buying property unless you can steal it.This is the catch 22 of the Arizona real estate market that we are experiencing.Any ideas to convince the no voters that this is the right thing to do for the times we are living in?"

Do read the rest from the link (s).

SURGE in HOA RENTALS > HOA Forum > HOA Talk.com

"Steve Brahs is chief of the new rental division launched recently by Aliso Viejo-based Merit Property Management, which oversees more than 300 homeowners associations throughout California. The company said that with rising foreclosures and increased vacancies in the HOA’s it manages, there’s a new opportunity for someone to step in and manage the renting of those homes..."

Homeowner Associations (HOAs) | Lansner on Real Estate

HOA - Worries move in - RENTAL ISSUES

"Some HOA's are gunning for owners who rent out their homes for short terms, such as vacation rentals. In many cases, the HOA governing documents either don't permit the HOA to ban such rentals or are just too unclear for the HOA to assert that it can. "

MORE HOA Leasing and Renting Crackdowns | HOA's | The Law Office of J. Patrick Sutton :: J. Patrick Sutton Cases & Issues Blog

"...Search the Henderson Properties site to find your perfect rental home! Our team of agents can find a rental property that is just right for your needs. Rental units available in Charlotte, Fort Mill, and other popular locations!"

Henderson Properties: HOA, Property Maintenance, & Real Estate Services

"Rental Properties

Managing hundreds of single and multi family rental homes throughout the Triangle.
Knowledgeable, prompt, and bonded maintenance staff.
24 hour on call emergency maintenance service.
Available properties shown by appointment.
Tenants screened for credit worthiness, criminal background, and income verification..."

Rental properties and HOA management > Home

College rent McMansions - Google Search

Rows of McMansions … Tomorrow’s Slum?
Rows of McMansions … Tomorrow’s Slum? | Ad quattuor cardines mundi

More on "Yes, our house values have fallen since 2008 too — "

At Least You’re Not Living in a McMansion - Baristanet*|*Baristanet

Or this...
my the HOA hood rentor's opionion.... backed by many other HOA stories just see above for example.

Sneak peek:
Don't you worry... it all be "Coming soon to the theaters near you!!!"

Okie carry on...
Do continue dreaming...

Last edited by hueyeats; 06-21-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
BSer indeed.
(actually most sales are also BSer, Bachelor of Science too... so that's just fine by me)
Still... much much better than "out of touch" people.
At least this BSer uses numbers, links

& not just a one line gimmick.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Colo. Neighborhood May Ban Sidewalk Chalk Art | KREX - News, Weather, Sports for Grand Junction | Montrose | Glenwood Springs - Coverage You Can Count On | Around the Region
Though they claim to be family friendly and though sidewalk chalk isn't mentioned in their regulations, this group is trying to ban sidewalk chalk allegedly because they've received complaints.
I can't understand how anyone could stand to live under the yoke of a HOA petty fiefdom.

My sister-in-law is in the middle of fighting her HOA's fine for smoking on her patio. The best part about it is that she doesn't even smoke! She's fighting with a neigbhor who made up the bogus charge, and since there is no due process or burden of proof for the HOA pagan gods they easily get away with it.

I could understand very basic rules on home/yard maintenance, but the average HOA has so many petty rules that even a North Korean would feel repressed living in one.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I can't understand how anyone could stand to live under the yoke of a HOA petty fiefdom.

My sister-in-law is in the middle of fighting her HOA's fine for smoking on her patio. The best part about it is that she doesn't even smoke! She's fighting with a neigbhor who made up the bogus charge, and since there is no due process or burden of proof for the HOA pagan gods they easily get away with it.

I could understand very basic rules on home/yard maintenance, but the average HOA has so many petty rules that even a North Korean would feel repressed living in one.
Good points & deserve the reps.
Bolded line, couldn't agree more!!!

Stupid that as "Americans" one would so willingly give up personal "freedom" for someone else to control them.
Isn't there enough government regulations & rules & taxes in this country already??
Why PAY for more???

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Our HOA doesn't have many rules, just common sense things that should be practiced by all good neighbors anyway.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I was brought up in a Glasgow tenement way back in the forties and fifties.. chalk was a cheap way to play games in the street and pavements.. no one complained, and think about it ,,, it does get washed away with the rain.. and what fun we had. poor but happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House