Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
We do not get along since the first day I moved in the house. The cameras are pointing at different directions so he can see my backyard activities for sure. I know he is monitoring me because he gave me hints to let me know he is watching me. (I know he hates me and I don’t like him either. We don’t talk.) Of course I did not do anything suspicious and I know that he has the right to monitoring his nearby properties. suggestions.
This is harassment, and possibly stalking. Log every incident of his hint-dropping that he's watching you. Discuss it with police. (If it qualifies as stalking, they'll ask you to keep a log of incidents.)

It's really sad and pretty alarming that the state of neighbor relations has come to this. What is the world coming to?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
I recently discovered my neighbor installed a video camera pointed towards my home. It freaked my wife out for a bit, but it doesn't bother me in any way. I know he has a huge motor home and an expensive boat parked on that side of his property and wants to know if anything happens to it. He isn't interested in watching me.
No one is bored enough to sit and watch a video screen for hours to see the neighbor. In the first place, those surveillance are not very good pictures. Good enough for evidence in case of a problem, but not good enough to watch the neighbor sunbathing.
I have worked in places with video cameras set up, and the only time they are ever looked at is when there is an issue, and even then it's a PITA. If there is a break in and you know the approximate time, you can review the tape. It's a long, slow, boring process, so I doubt anyone is interested in anything you do. If you're worried, plant a tree....

Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
My neighbor pays very close attention of my moves in my backyard. His outdoor surveillance camera is under the roof and the fence between us is only 6 feet tall. He records everything of my backyard activities and I feel like I have no privacy at all. Is there any way to stop this or is there any device to jam the surveillance? Thank you.
It may be legal, it may be illegal. Besides federal laws, states impose their own much stricter laws on this . In some states if there is not natural built in way to see the same area of someone elses property, others can not use electronic means to see that property. So if a one story home with a six foot fence and nobdy standing along that 6 foot fence can naturally see your back yard and nobdy looking out any windows or doors can naturally see that area of your back yard, using a camera would violate the law. You need to speak to someone familiar with your state's privacy or survillance or evesdropping laws to tell you where the line is and when that line is crossed. What may be legal in one state could be illegal in many others.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
mebbe it's just me, but a large wad of bubble gum on a bamboo pole from just out of camera range should solve the problem.

If its a wireless camera it should be easy enough to "hack" and possibly even control. Get the brand and use google for research. It's nearly a hobby in geek circles. Perhaps focus it on a sign in your yard with some crazy cryptic message. I love a good weirdo, hours of entertainment thinking of ways to get under their skin.

Use your imagination.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Personally I like the Laser Idea. While you could plant a tree to block the cameras view of your yard, chances are it's going to take several years for the tree to grow high enough to block the cameras view of your yard, not to mention he could move the camera to another part of his house/yard to get a new unobstructed view of your yard. I say get yourself a good powerful laser, point the laser at the camera for a few hours (or all day while the guy is at work), and remove the laser before he sees the camera isn't working. Something in the 1000mW range will make short work of the camera, the lower the power rating of the laser, the longer it will take to damage the camera. You can get a a really good laser for around $300, sounds expensive, just see what a good sized tree or shrub is going to cost you. After he loses enough cameras he'll point them elsewhere. Fight Fire with Fire, he don't sound like the type of neighbor that's going to move his camera by asking nicely. Just be very careful with the laser, point it at a plane and you could be looking at jail time, pointed at the person, serious eye damage. Just wear a cheap mask when your setting up your laser to point at his camera, you just need plausible deniability to keep from getting sued.

Last edited by TechGromit; 06-20-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Wonder if wasp spray or some other liquid that could be poured in a water gun could stain the lense?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
If you have a wooden fence, you could paint the fence. Helpful hint, a Wagner power paint sprayer will cut your painting time.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
This thread is getting funnier by the page! Sails (!!), trees, wasp spray, spray paint, LOL--bubble gum on a pole! I'm rolling on the floor, laughing!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Set up a mirror so his camera is recording what happens in HIS back yard

Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
How about one or those high powered pellet rifles. They make such a small pfft no one would hear it. They are powerful enough to distroy the camera and since the pellet will bounce off and not be found it might seem like quite a mystery just how this thing got smashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House