U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 AM

31 posts, read 92,645 times

Advertisements

My neighbor pays very close attention of my moves in my backyard. His outdoor surveillance camera is under the roof and the fence between us is only 6 feet tall. He records everything of my backyard activities and I feel like I have no privacy at all. Is there any way to stop this or is there any device to jam the surveillance? Thank you.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Why is he doing this, any feuds going on?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM

21,589 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Is he observing his backyard or is the camera pointed on yours??

If you set up a laser pointer so that it continually shines into the camera lens, he won't point it at your backyard anymore. You might consider setting up a really bright yard light for security in your backyard that also shines into his camera lens.

While what he is going is legal, you can make it painful enough for him that he chooses to take the camera down.

BTW: did you talked with your neighbor about that??
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by elnina; 06-20-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Moon him. Early and often.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
My brother did this. His neighbor kept having band practices, pot smoking parties similar problems. He talked to the guy several times and the guy just swore at him. He called the police, but the guy was buddies withthe local patrollman. He set up the camera and recorded the shenanagainsfor a month and then sent it to the police chief and told him the patrolman refused to do anything. The police got on the guy for a while. then the guy set up a fake camera (with no cords and not wireless) pointing at my brothers house. He thought it was funny. I suggested he get five or six fake cameras and point them all at different parts of the guys house.

THere are laws that can apply. If the camera is pointing into the windows of your house it may be illegal. If pointing intot he back or front yard, most states do not prevent it. Some places may have stalking laws that might apply to this.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,213,830 times
You can do one of three things. 1) Call the neighbor or go over there and simply ask him if he meant to have his surveillance camera pointed into your backyard where you like your privacy. That gives him a way out, he can say, "Oh, I didn't mean for it to be pointing quite that way!" And then hopefully he will turn it away from your yard. 2) The next thing you can do is plant a grouping of shrubs or trees that will grow tall enough to generally block off where his camera is aimed. 3) And you can get some premade lattice panels and affix them to the top of your fence, enough feet high to block his camera view. Also, a grouping of tall enough shrubs or trees near there would work, or maybe some flags or shade canvas on tall poles.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM

14,097 posts, read 14,425,325 times
A laser pointed at the camera could damage the camera and you could face a lawsuit for the damage. First consult with a lawyer and or local police. Make sure you express concerns that the neighbor's camera may be directed into the windows of your home. If the neighbor can prove the camera is not pointed at the windows of the home and the police and lawyer confirm what the neighbor is doing is legal, you can still do something to protect your back yard privacy without damaging his property. An expensive decorative method is sails. This beautiful decorative method provides shade in the yard and if placed properly, will block his camera. Another method is privacy through gardening. A cheap method is to buy a cheap strobe light and place it directed towards the camera. This method will work in both day or night. However, at night you may be causing a disturbance using the strobe light especially if it's directed towards the neighbor's home's windows.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
My neighbor pays very close attention of my moves in my backyard.
And how would you know this?
He records everything of my backyard activities and I feel like I have no privacy at all.
And how would you know this?
Is there any way to stop this...
Yeah, ask him to redirect his camera
...or is there any device to jam the surveillance? Thank you.
If it's a wired system no. It's a closed system. If it's wireless, there's a possibility of jamming if you have the frequency in which it operates.
Why all the paranoia? If you're no doing anything illegal, why worry about? If you want to show your backside to Mr. Sunshine that may be a decent reason for concern. However, Let's turn the table in a matter of speaking. What if you were the victim of a crime and the perpetrators were caught on his video- how would you feel then?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
I usually just plant evergreen trees for yard privacy.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM

800 posts, read 1,293,590 times
Check your local laws. I'm pretty sure it is illegal to have a camera pointed into private property. Also, like others have said, go over and ask him what he is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House