Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Of course, your home, you can do whatever you want with it. Do you plan to sell some day? Your house could end up on an HGTV episode of house swap. I could see this being one of those "features" that would have buyers scratching their heads. Might be fun to watch their reactions though.
I wouldn't do it to my own home. It would ruin the historic integrity of my historic bungalow.

It would be interesting to do in a new custom "thinking out of the box" home though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I could come up with some unlikely situations that would make my crazy bathroom idea perfect too:

A truck full of lumberjacks breaks down in front of your house and they all need to go pee.

I prefer they pee on the border to keep the coyotes from coming onto my property.

Your swinger friends all show up unnanounced for a "sleep over"

Even more reason to have a separate powder room - swingers aren't necessarily into water sports

You have three thirsty dogs that won't leave each other's company and are too lazy to fill up their water dishes.
They can all go outside to the big water trough

You take your 3 little kids mudding in an open top jeep and need to spray them off afterward.

Well those tykes are not getting inside the house until they have been sprayed off !!!

You are trying to potty train triplets.

Not a chance in heck!

You turn your house into a boutique and need to provide public restrooms.

Relax people. I'm not showing up at anyone's house with a wrecking crew goon squad to force you do this. I just thought it was an interesting way to thing about an new "Bathroom Paradigm"... since the general plan hasn't changed since the toilet moved indoors.

Of course, that could also be because it works well as is...
But I do like your imaginative thinking.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Is the big tub for a family bath? Small tubs are better for areas with water shortages. You could put in two or three.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It has taken the human race centuries to evolve away from the family bath.

I've lived with one large bath. True, it did not have separate poop closets. But there is no way am I going back to prehistoric times.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Here's a VERY quick and dirty example of what I'm talking about
You went to a lot of trouble ensuring there are multiple toilets and sinks, but there are no multiple showers. Showers are important for keeping a large family on schedule.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You went to a lot of trouble ensuring there are multiple toilets and sinks, but there are no multiple showers. Showers are important for keeping a large family on schedule.
Not really. I made the stuff up in a couple of minutes inbetween the work I was supposed to be doing this morning.

Anyway, I think the best way to do this is a with the "Bathing room" that was suggested earlier as part of a master suite with standard bathrooms everywhere else. Maybe I could do a closed, utilitarian kitchen to make up the price difference, should I ever decide to build a wonky custom house of my own.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would not buy a house with a layout like you suggest. I guess I don't see how sharing a bath creates family unity, at all. At minimum for a shared bath I could see putting in a tub/shower in the middle with pocket doors leading to a stool, sink set up on both sides. That would probably be as close as I would want to go with a shared bath. We have 4 bathrooms here, our master bath, a full bath that 2 of our kids share, a 3/4 bath that is in our finished basement along with our oldest son's room and a 1/2 bath on the main. We could get along fine without the 3/4 bath and the 3 kids sharing the one full but no way would I give up my mater bath, sorry, just way to used to having one and it's a luxury we've earned .

Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
No.Way.

If I want to use stalls I can go to Target.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Ignoring the multiple user concept of the OP, I personally love the idea of bringing the outdoors into the bathroom or the bathroom to the outdoors. I've always wanted to design a bathroom that had a shower and other features in a private outside garden. Perfect examples would be via "bali bathroom" google images.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ignoring the multiple user concept of the OP, I personally love the idea of bringing the outdoors into the bathroom or the bathroom to the outdoors. I've always wanted to design a bathroom that had a shower and other features in a private outside garden. Perfect examples would be via "bali bathroom" google images.
Now this I can deal with!

But thinking about the OP putting 3 WC's in here and people dropping a deuce while I am enjoying my Bali Bath??? Not so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House