Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM

42 posts, read 518,616 times

Advertisements

I was reading up on another problem and I noticed a funny post. The guy states using a dehumidifier in the basement is bad because it'll ruin the concrete walls. He says moisture will be drawn from the concrete walls and damage them as the moisture passes through. I know a lot of people who use dehumidifiers in their basements to prevent mold. Any truth? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
While I cannot answer the question about your house, I understand the ideal humidity for comfort and other reasons (like prevent the growth of stuff you do not want growing in a house) is about 40 to 60%.

When I lived in the north (IL, OH, MA) and had a basement plus central AC, I still needed a dehumidifier in the summer to keep the humidity in the proper range in the basement. Here in SC and no basement, I sit here in 98* outside temperature with the AC set to 78* and running, with the humidity in the house at 54%...made me look at the gauges....LOL

I say do what you can to keep the humidity in your home 40 to 60%.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna_f_seiei View Post
I was reading up on another problem and I noticed a funny post. The guy states using a dehumidifier in the basement is bad because it'll ruin the concrete walls. He says moisture will be drawn from the concrete walls and damage them as the moisture passes through. I know a lot of people who use dehumidifiers in their basements to prevent mold. Any truth? Thanks.
Some people are idiots and trolls. Unfortunately, that is part of life. It won't ruin concrete walls. Hoover dam is still standing.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Everyone I know that has a basement uses a de-humidifier. So I would say your information is false.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Everyone I know that has a basement uses a de-humidifier. So I would say your information is false.
I was told by a mold professional that it all depends on how low you set the controls. According to him, 60-65% is ideal with 70% max. Anything below 60% COULD draw moisture from/through the walls, depending on the construction.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Some people are idiots. They'll set up a dehumidifier and set it to it's highest setting thinking drier is better. Locally, no one has a basement. Some use dehumidifiers to help the home after flooding. One guy set up a few dehumidifiers in his home, set them to their highest setting (or driest setting) and left them running for a few days while he stayed at a relative's home. When he went back to check on the home, much of the wood in the home was warped and cracked,...but everything was dry.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
I can't see how a dehumidifier would ruin a basement?? We have a sump pump in ours to keep the moisture/water at bay?? The only way a dehumidifier would possibly ruin a basement is if it is already dry and someone has some sort of issue with preventing any moisture at all from getting in say like living in Arizona?? Mold is a big problem as is moisture when you live in a humid area say like Florida and here in Connecticut. I have no clue what this guy was talking about and would have to see where he lives from his posts?? Very strange.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
We keep one in our basement, the summers can be humid. You can regulate them to high/low/medium. I shut ours off in the winter.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
If I had a basement, I'd get a humidifier with a digital setting and see if I could hard pipe the bucket to the house drain with a loop seal connected to a fitting to allow easy recharge of the seal. Don't like emptying the bucket and don't like a garden hose. I suppose it's easier to connect the hose and run it to the sump pit. Just don't forget to clean the air filter screen each month and check the condition of the coils.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I've always had a dehumidifier in the basement, and the basement walls are still standing!

Quote:
don't like a garden hose
My cats are scared of the garden hose (), so I loop the hose around the drain so the cats will stay away from the drain. They've already figured out that they can use their little paws to pull up the grate and then play in the water. Ew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House