Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I recently moved into a new house, which I am loving. The house has several bedrooms that I'm not using as bedrooms (e.g., one is an office, one will be a sewing room). All the bedrooms have closets (the master bedroom has 2), but ALL of the closets (except two walk-in's) have built-in shoe racks all the way across the bottom. Those shoe racks take up a LOT of space in closets that I am not using for clothes (e.g., the floors really can't be used for much else, given the angle of the shoe racks and the fact that they run along the whole width of the closets), so I want to remove at least some of them. (Honestly, even in the master bedroom closets, I would prefer to use my own shoe racks and take these ones out. They just don't "fit" what I have.)

I've attached a photo. Have any of you removed these things? I would of course like to do the least amount of damage to the floor/walls. Do I just take a hammer to them? Or cut them with an electric saw? I just have no idea how to start. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Karen in lovely New Hampshire

P.S. I plan to live in this house for 20+ years, so am not worried about resale value (although I'm not sure that built-in shoe racks add anything! ).
Attached Thumbnails
how to remove built-in shoe racks from closets (PIC)-new_house_closet_shoe_rack.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
The picture doesn't really give a whole lot to go one. However, I'd advise you to move very cautiously. It's entirely possible that there's something behind/under those shoe racks - maybe an HVAC duct, or something structural. Do some investigating before going nuts on them.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Can you take a peek underneath? Probably just attached with some L brackets. Im in desperate need of shoe racks so Im jealous. LOL

Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM

BigGeorge, just imagine that little corner being repeated for the whole width of every reach-in closet in every bedroom. I can't imagine that there is any ductwork there -- all the heating vents are in walls and there's no central air. There are also no electric outlets anywhere near most of them (haven't checked them all). There's plumbing on the other side of one wall (a bathroom), but I don't know why any plumbing fixtures would be under shoe racks in the closet next door?

I suspect that the racks are not original to the house (which was built around 1960), as the 2 bedrooms in the addition have them (they are all identical except for width of course), which makes me wonder if the previous owners added them back when the addition was done (late '70s). I still have a TON of unpacking to do and would like to just stuff "stuff" into closets to get them out of the way until I have time to unpack everything -- but I can't, because the floor space in the closets is taken up by these racks! Aaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!

Fallingwater, I think I will try to take a peek underneath one ... I will try to pry it from the side ... in some, there's a tiny gap between the end of the rack and the side wall. (And lol, I don't have enough shoes for the master bedroom closets' racks, never mind the ones in the other bedrooms!)

Thanks to both of you for replying!!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
BigGeorge, just imagine that little corner being repeated for the whole width of every reach-in closet in every bedroom. I can't imagine that there is any ductwork there -- all the heating vents are in walls and there's no central air. There are also no electric outlets anywhere near most of them (haven't checked them all). There's plumbing on the other side of one wall (a bathroom), but I don't know why any plumbing fixtures would be under shoe racks in the closet next door?

I suspect that the racks are not original to the house (which was built around 1960), as the 2 bedrooms in the addition have them (they are all identical except for width of course), which makes me wonder if the previous owners added them back when the addition was done (late '70s). I still have a TON of unpacking to do and would like to just stuff "stuff" into closets to get them out of the way until I have time to unpack everything -- but I can't, because the floor space in the closets is taken up by these racks! Aaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!

Fallingwater, I think I will try to take a peek underneath one ... I will try to pry it from the side ... in some, there's a tiny gap between the end of the rack and the side wall. (And lol, I don't have enough shoes for the master bedroom closets' racks, never mind the ones in the other bedrooms!)

Thanks to both of you for replying!!
There's just no way to know, without carefully looking. Who knows, it could be a cold air return duct.

Also, it's just about impossible to say exactly how they were installed. If there's nothing behind them, I suspect they were nailed to a firring strip that was attached into the walls. But who knows?

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Are they open underneath? Can't tell from your pic.

If so - probably they are just resting (attached) to cleats around the wall.

You might want to use a utility knife to score the paint, in case they painted from the closet walls directly onto the shelf. If you don't do that and you pull the shelf away - you may rip your paint.

They don't look like they're integral. Just be careful in your removing them, and you shouldn't hurt anything. Likely tools: hammer (if they are resting on cleats, you will hammer "up" from below to push the shelves up and off the cleats) , screwdriver, nail puller, pry bar, utility knife.

I shouldn't think it would come to a reciprocating saw. Unless they did something idiotic like glue them in place or fasten them in someway so as to make them literally indestructible.

good luck reclaiming your floor space!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. I recently moved into a new house, which I am loving. The house has several bedrooms that I'm not using as bedrooms (e.g., one is an office, one will be a sewing room). All the bedrooms have closets (the master bedroom has 2), but ALL of the closets (except two walk-in's) have built-in shoe racks all the way across the bottom. Those shoe racks take up a LOT of space in closets that I am not using for clothes (e.g., the floors really can't be used for much else, given the angle of the shoe racks and the fact that they run along the whole width of the closets), so I want to remove at least some of them. (Honestly, even in the master bedroom closets, I would prefer to use my own shoe racks and take these ones out. They just don't "fit" what I have.)

I've attached a photo. Have any of you removed these things? I would of course like to do the least amount of damage to the floor/walls. Do I just take a hammer to them? Or cut them with an electric saw? I just have no idea how to start. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Karen in lovely New Hampshire

P.S. I plan to live in this house for 20+ years, so am not worried about resale value (although I'm not sure that built-in shoe racks add anything! ).

yay !! finally someone that is going to something in their own home for themselves and not worry about what a future buyer 9if ever0 will want.

I say get a sledge hammer and bash it out.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Let me know what you find, I have those exact same racks in my closets and I loathe them.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
No sledge hammers!!

I think you were being funny...

but I am so sick of watching DIY shows where the idiots take a sledge hammer and destroy something for effect.

Spend 10 minutes doing it the right way, and then donate the materials to your local reuse center. Someone somewhere is dying to put in shoe racks, and they'll be very grateful for your donation.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the additional replies! I have to get through this week of summer teaching (love teaching, hate grading, which is all I have left), then I will make this my first project. I will report back on what I find! And Briolat, that's a good point about donating the materials (assuming I can keep them in good shape) -- there is a salvage place about 15 miles away from me that I think would take them and it would not have occurred to me to check with them, but now I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House