Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM

319 posts, read 610,236 times

Advertisements

On the same spec home mentioned in earlier threads (Austin,TX 3500sf 5br/4ba, green builder) I was quoted the following upgrades from two 14 seer units:

1. 16 Seer- $1550

2. XL 16i 16 Seer- 2 ton 16 Seer, 4 ton, 16.25 Seer--$9961.90

3. XL 20i- 2 ton 19.25, 4 ton 17.25 $15,758

Anyone able to make sense of these options? The builder didn't understand it either. What do you think the ROIs will look like for these? I'm guessing option 1 makes the most sense, since it's the highest SEER for single stage and the units will be located outside the kitchen so noise shouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
The XLs are Trane units if I remember correctly, hence the high price tags. When we replaced our heat pump a few years back, we did a complete swap out. Replaced the heat pump unit and the blower unit in the house. We chose Carrier at the recommendation of a few HVAC techs, seems the newer Trane heat pumps had some issues. Ours is *I think* a 15 Seer unit (Carrier Performance heat pump), ran us about $7400 for the heat pump, a new blower unit (Carrier Infinity) and the Infinity thermostat. Our electric bill tanked after we had it installed, well worth the money. Plus it's almost silent out back, which is nice because I don't have to crank up the outdoor speakers!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 AM

319 posts, read 610,236 times
Oh sorry I forgot to mention these are all Trane units and I don't think there's flexibility there. These are the incremental costs as well, not the full purchase price. Do you understand the options? My guess is it's the following:

1. XB14 2ton + XB14 4ton: $1.5k
2. XL16i 2ton + XL16i 4ton: $9.9k
3. XL20i 2ton + XL20i 4ton: $15.8k

I'm thinking the SEER ratings are simply varying based on the tonnage with the same model. I'm not sure about the model for the first option. If these were the options, then which would you go with?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
The first option looks like its the same SEER but an upgraded version above and beyond the builders grade units. The last two options speak for themselves. You're likely going to be paying a lot for cooling but since we don't know your electric rates or much else about your home there's not much more detail we can give.

I'd recommend you find a ACCA contractor that will do a detailed load and duct calculation for you do you can do it right the first time. If the builder is offering an upgrade he's likely using a cookie-cutter calculation. If you plan on being in this home a long time the calculations will be very useful to you for the first install and any subsequent installs after the fact.

If your builder installs something that's not right the first time it's headache to resolve. You have the ability to know exactly what you need tonnage wise for each room and what duct work you'll need to meet those demands.

You can go to the ACCA website for guidance.

https://www.acca.org/consumer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House