Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Starting out when sparkling clean new toilets and would like to find a product which really helps to keep them clean. Those tank inserts which turn the water blue do nothing. Of course I will continue to brush and I know of plenty of homemade products to clean the toilets but I'm hoping to find something in-the-tank which will help. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Is there an in-the-tank toilet bowl cleaner which really works?
Nope.

The only reliable alternative to rolling up your sleeves and getting in there regularly...
is to hire someone else to do that housekeeping job for you.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:59 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I use Clorox bleach tablets along with periodic cleanings using that blue or green gel spread under the rim & a toilet brush.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Dump some bleach in after cleaning and do it on regular basis. Nothing beats constant cleaning daily.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:48 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Toilet manufacturers advise against putting anything in the tank. It screws up the works.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:01 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Toilet manufacturers advise against putting anything in the tank. It screws up the works.
You beat me to it

Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
To follow up on "It screws up the works!", chemicals destroy the rubber parts in the tank and you bought yourself some headaches..
I am a toilet cleaning expert. I have very hard water and I get deposits that are really hard to remove. Water running in to fill the bowl leave vertical white lime deposits all around the bowl. I had to use pumic scouring sticks to remove the deposits, with great difficulty I might add. The deposits are white and impossible to see, so I scour a while, rince to get the pumic deposits off, then run my fingers over the bowl to feel the deposits. You can't see them you have to feel them. It was difficult and time consuming, but I demand the surface be lime free and perfectly smooth to the touch, even though the deposits can't be seen.
Then I discovered Lime Away toilet bowl cleaner. No more scrubbing, no more hard work. I squirt a stream all around the upper lip of the bowl where the water washes down, and where all the nasty stuff collects that most people never think about because it's out of sight. I learned that trick from my friend Anthony on "Hotel Impossible". That man knows where to look for the ickies...
Then I use a toilet brush and scrub vigorously all around. I leave it like that with the subs all over the bowl, and let it soak, sometimes for hours. When I go away for the weekend, I let it sit like that. When I get home, I wet the brush and scour the bowl again to revive the suds, them finally flush.
The Lime Away dissolves the lime deposits and no more scrubbing with the pumic stone. I frequently rub my fingers over the bowl to check for deposits to make sure, and occasionally will bring out the pumis to make sure it's perfect.
I have four toilets in my home, and all are always sparkling. OK, so I admit it, I'm a neat freak, but I like a perfect toilet..
By the way, the Lime Away cleaner is 99 cents at the 99 cent store. Not only am I neat, but I'm cheap, too...!!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:20 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I found one of those pumice sticks in an old-fashioned hardware store - love it (for some reason the water line in the tank sometimes gets a built-up ring) - I always use cleaner under the rim, that's just how you are supposed to use it - it's not a "trick" - you have to use an old toothbrush under there sometimes as the regular toilet bowl brush doesn't reach all the crevices.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Lime Away, works every time.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Depends on your problem. If it's limescale, a water softener is your best bet. If you get mold/bacterial growth around the water line, the Clorox tablets work. They'll shorten the life of the internal parts but not having to constantly clean the thing is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House