Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM

70 posts, read 252,034 times

Advertisements

End of Week 23

So, we have picked out our countertops (kitchen & bathrooms), our cabinet colors, our sinks/ toilets, and most of the tile. We need to confirm our faucets and fixtures. Aside from that, we just need to pick out our paint colors (the builder will paint the whole house 1 color and we can pick 3-4 rooms to be customized). I think I may see if we can customize after living there for 3+ months, as I have no clue about colors.

The house has been drywalled and insulated. They are now working on the outside (stone & stucco) and the interior fixins (trim & floors).

Family room fireplace (will be stoned up the middle)

Breakfast room again (we put the half wall in after the fact at the suggestion of the builder and like it!)

Split staircase again

Front of the house, being prepared for the stone & stucco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhousebuilt View Post
Good question. We liked the split staircase look and functionality. Most of the time, we will come from upstairs and go out the side staircase, which leads to the kitchen and garage. It's the flow we anticipate. However, we liked the traditional staircase opens up to the front door look/ concept. In reality, we only lose a bit of foyer space or a bit of dining room space, which is fine, because we would have put up a wall over part of the staircase anyway.
Makes sense...I couldn't tell by the pictures if the stairs joined up or were two separate stairwells.

EDIT: Just saw the picture from your recent update...looks good and should make for nice flow without sacrificing too much space.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM

End of Week 26

Not a whole lot has happened. Apparently, they need 3 days of 32 degree + temperatures during the day to do the stone & stucco on the outside. They have prepped the area and have put plastic over all of the doors/ windows to make sure no water gets in.

This is important, because the hardwood floors are in and so is most of the trim. I believe this week, they are installing the floor tiles and painting the walls. The kitchen cabinets and granite should be complete in about 3 weeks. We are now looking at a completion date at the end of Feb/ beginning of March. The end of March will be 9 months, which is the tail end of the 6-9 month estimate we were first given.

Picture of the (unfinished) floors. They are brazilian cherry in a 3-4-5 pattern. Sorry about not getting an up-close picture.

One of the jack & jill bedrooms, with a bench in the middle (the trim is up)

Another picture of the trim above the stairway.

And finally, the front of the house, for when the weather actually cooperates!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Very nice!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
Tough love question but you are 6 months into this. Will they ever finish?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default I would not worry at all given the size / scale of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Tough love question but you are 6 months into this. Will they ever finish?
For a house this big with this much customization the timeline will almost certainly use up every bit of 9 months. If there are issues with suppliers / weather you have to just with it...

Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
For a house this big with this much customization the timeline will almost certainly use up every bit of 9 months. If there are issues with suppliers / weather you have to just with it...
That's what I believe. The builder really cautioned us that the process would take up to a year, but most houses were done within 6-9 months, so we were/ are prepared.

That said, the end of February will be 8 months, and that's what it is looking like now.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Almost the end of week 29 (Friday and maybe Saturday left!)

In the past few weeks, we have purchased a ton of lighting (pendants, bath lights, all outside lighting, chandeliers, bowl lights... you name it!). We have also purchased all of the ceiling fans (1 per bedroom, great room) because I love ceiling fans in the Summer and want to save a bit on heating cooling costs.

In terms of work done on the house, they finished the painting last week (we picked a buttery neutral tone for most of the house, with some light blueish colors for certain rooms). They also began installing the kitchen cabinets and some tile work (I don't have those pics today, but will take some over the weekend).

We are supposed to pick the stucco colors (base & trims) this weekend and the carpet for the upstairs (I know that some people hate carpet, but we happen to like it and think the additional sound deadining will help keep noise down, given the openness of the house)

Additionally, we need to pick out the granite (or quartz or wood) for the master bath. This should be a fun weekend.

Pics (keep in mind that the floors are unfinished, but are Brazilian Red Cherry)

Dining Room (the only room with that trim stuff on the bottom half, I'm unsure of the name)

Kitchen, with 2 level Island (that cutout for the range is going to have a stacked stone for a chimney feel)

Close-up of the Island

Breakfast nook

Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Interesting. I don't quite get why someone would put the effort into doing a custom house just to put in Brazilian cherry floors and other things you find in every tract home built in the last decade. The house looks nice, but it seems very much like most of the big suburban homes you find all over the country. Couldn't you have saved several months of time and effort by just buying something already finished?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Interesting. I don't quite get why someone would put the effort into doing a custom house just to put in Brazilian cherry floors and other things you find in every tract home built in the last decade. The house looks nice, but it seems very much like most of the big suburban homes you find all over the country. Couldn't you have saved several months of time and effort by just buying something already finished?
A production home won't offer the level of architectural detail the OP has in their home. I built a custom home, some of the things in it are regular out of the box stuff you could get from Home Depot (toilets, tile, etc.) but some of it sure isn't--like the custom built-in bookcases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House