Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,028,350 times

Advertisements

Hi. My cousin murdered my vac and now I am need of a new one....Ive got three active kids, a husband that wont take his shoes off inside, 2 dogs that come in occasionally, and a bird that throws any seeds/food he doesnt like in a 6ft radius. Anyone have any suggestions on a terrific vac. that would run me roundabouts 100.00-150.00tops? Im all about bagless, and would dearly love one w/a hepafilter (they sound cool and really needed...any opinions on that too? )
any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
Tiffany
ps. Im not opposed to one that might suck up the bird accidently as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,143,404 times
We got one from Sears a few years ago that was about $150. It came with great onboard attachments and a nice hand-sized attachment for stairs with a beater bar. It isn't bagless but personally I don't get the 'bagless' option when you still have to empty the collection cup. We have a HEPA filter and personally they are over rated, they really don't do much.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Sorry, but there's a reason that most vacuums are $500.00-$1000.00. If the cheap ones were any good, no one would buy the expensive ones. Go for light weight and quiet, and as much power as possible. I hear the 8# Oreck has a money back guarantee and payments, so if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM

284 posts, read 1,678,905 times
I did a little online research before we bought one for our home and one for our church. Target has some pretty good reviews online that helped, and Wal-Mart has a pretty good rating system on their tags (in-store) that was helpful. We bought the Dirt Devil Dynamite Compact Upright for cheap, and our experience at church with it is exactly as great as the excellent reviews that it gets online at Wal-Mart. It really is shocking that it is so inexpensive and works so great! For our home, we spent much more and got the Bissell Healthy Home (necessary due to allergies and pets). It is more than you say you want to spend, but I mention it because it, too, got great online reviews. So, my experience with two vacuum purchases this year at Wal-Mart was excellent with two great buys after looking at what seem to be pretty accurate rating systems in-store and reviews on-line. Hope this helps!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,694,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, but there's a reason that most vacuums are $500.00-$1000.00. If the cheap ones were any good, no one would buy the expensive ones. Go for light weight and quiet, and as much power as possible. I hear the 8# Oreck has a money back guarantee and payments, so if you don't like it, you can send it back.
I did a "In Home" test on the Oreck a fw years ago and would never bother with one. here's what i did.

With masking tape marked off a square area of carpeted living room. With the oreck i vacuumed the heck out of the area. I then with a razor blade opened the bag and dumped all the crud out , then with tape resealed the bag. Then I vacumed again. I keep doing this untill the bag was as clean afterwards as it was before...IE. the Oreck had picked up everything it was going to get.

Then I worked the same area with a Phantom (now out of bussiness) and a friends Dyson and a Dirt Devil. All three were also started with perfectly emplty containers., and all three immediatly began to pick up lots of stuff the the Oreck left behind !

Conclusion...the Oreck may be light weight put it's cleaning ability leaves a LOT to be desired. Don't waste your time playing with an Oreck.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
That's good to know, but what did you buy??

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,694,303 times
oh...good point !! well Phantom is now out of bussiness...next one would be a Dyson...no question about it.

if you could find a rebuilt phantom some where it might be worth considering...but note replacement parts might be a problem

Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,614,111 times
consumer reports!!!

We have the Eureka Boss 4870 - a best buy from CR at $140. Still rated at the top. We've had ours for 3+ years, and it's wonderful!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,426,075 times
Eureka, or Hoover if you can find a quiet one.

There is a post on C D about vaccuums and it discusses all the brands and the ladies opinions on most. Orek, Dirtdevil and a few others only lasted a year. Lost of them liked some sort of Dyson, but the attatchments seemed to be an issue. Do a seach on C D

Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,028,350 times
Thanks so much all!!!! Gonna be diggin into some more reviews and all now....Ive got to be one of the only woman I know that is begging for a new vacuum for Christmas.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House