Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM

65 posts, read 216,434 times

Advertisements

First off I realize its not a great idea, or even a good idea. There is a maybe 16 ft section of wood in the side only where there exterior trim along the roof it chipping very badly, and the wood is beginning to rot too. The thing is I moved to a new town & new duplex site unseen, just pictures. Its actually in really good condition otherwise & below market value, probably largely because of this. So I'm still happy. Why they just don't fix it to save their investment & rent it higher I don't know. But obviously I'm not going to invest much time or money into a one year rental. So while its not a long term solution, just for my own very short term curb appeal if I just paint over it will it last a week or 3 months before just chipping off again and looking the same or what will happen? If there's another very cheap trick I can use to make it last longer I'd love to know. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,000,019 times
Without seeing a picture I can only imagine that the paint is peeling for some reason (i.e. water is getting into it somehow.) Maybe there is a hole in the roof just above that area?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

65 posts, read 216,434 times
Possibly, though its not obvious if it is. The paint and wood under the overhang looks fine. The rest is brick. I think its just old. The duplex was probably built in the mid 80's. If I could get this & the yard looking a little better the place would be almost a steal. Just not sure if you can paint over rotting wood? I don't mind it coming off again. I'm just curious if it will stick enough long enough to even make it worth the very short amount of time & money to be worth it. I guess I can just try it & see. It can't look much worse than it does currently. Just curious.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,330,273 times

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-wood-hardener

The correct thing to do would be to replace but if you're just going to patch for the time you're there then this will work where the wood is rotted. After it fully cures prime the wood with an oil based primer like Kilz and then paint with an exterior paint to the color you'd like it to be.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 67,696 times
We used solid color stain over peeling paint with good results. We scraped off as much loose paint as we could, then painted over it with solid color stain, and it looks pretty good. (Short term solution until we can afford to reside the house!)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu8912 View Post
Why they just don't fix it to save their investment & rent it higher I don't know. But obviously I'm not going to invest much time or money into a one year rental.
Yours is not to wonder why. However, if you feel it detracts from the overall appeal ask that it be fixed. It's not your responsibility to fix or repair- it's not your investment.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,208 times
Default rotting wood

If you can't replace the wood, buy a wood hardener and follow directions.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,516,233 times
Why would you even consider painting or repairing a rental that belongs to someone else? Ignore it for the next year.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,187,887 times
I'm thinking that since 2012 when they first posted, they either fixed it already, or its fallen apart.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
You may want to treat the wood with Sodium Napthanate to prevent further rot. Then if necessary use a hardener (expensive and difficult to apply properly). If the wood is badly rotted, you may need to remove the rotten portions and fill it with a good quality wood epox or something simlar. I have bad bad luck with those types of products because the wood expands and contracts at a different rate and eventually the epoxy/bondo or whatever tears loose or pops out.

You have to remove the badly rotted portions and anything that is saturated or the paint will fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House