Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times

Advertisements

Won't have that "problem" anymore...

As where I live now...
it is not very "fuel efficient" for any groups who want advertising through that "door to door" method.

Last place I get "stuffers" & "brochures" & "flyers" all the time.
= Another drawback in living within a tightly packed community... "they" can do bulk delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I dont have a screen door so I dont open my door if I dont recognize the caller.

Because of the knock-knock burglaries in my neighborhood, I have one of these by the exterior doors. They work great, for both when I'm home and when I'm gone:

http://www.amazon.com/ED-50-Electron.../dp/B002XITC5G

Old 07-22-2012, 04:04 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont have a screen door so I dont open my door if I dont recognize the caller.

Because of the knock-knock burglaries in my neighborhood, I have one of these by the exterior doors. They work great, for both when I'm home and when I'm gone:

Amazon.com: STI ED-50 Rex Plus Electronic Watchdog, Barking Dog Alarm: Home Improvement
Those {Rex} are great!

I put two of those in my Dad's house when it was empty, one by the front door, one by the back door.

I also put a few chewed on dog toys in the yard that I would move around whenever I checked on the house,

{I even decorated the house for X-Mas, lights and all, to make it look like someone was living there.....asked the neighbor to drive up and down the driveway once in awhile when there was snow on the ground too....and of course my "Door Only Answered By Appointment" sign was on the front door. That's when I originally thought up that sign. Timers turning lights on and off all over the house, even the bathroom, that I would change around every week or so.}

That house sat empty for several years......no problems.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
I had one man come to my window when I didnt open the door..... he smiled , waved then said.. "Aye, a thought I saw someone on the computer" instead of my anger, I got embarrassed, stupid me.. and opened the door... what I should have done was tell him I was getting the police....

Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
just had the other one , the phone nusance... asking first if I was mrs .... the householder. not wanting to be nasty I asked, "yes and who are you"..... a pause.. "oh this is Goldseal, and were were wondering...."... excuse me before you go intae your selling promo speech.. I have all new windows and doors" knowing this is a double glazing company.....as I was putting the phone down, she was saying " no no you dont understand this is" and I cut her off.. now my noseyness is wondering what she intended to glaze.. cover or screw on...

Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,014 times
I had a Microsoft Phone System that served as an answering machine .. it had to be connected to a computer and I had to have caller ID ... but I could program phone numbers into it and the system would just hang up on them.... It worked really well with "Unkown" or "Out of Area" One ring, the system checked and then hung up on them...x ten million I almost with I had a land line again...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Tell the Witnesses you're Catholic. They'll run like scalded dogs.
That's my trick. Best part of all is that I'm telling the truth.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM

409 posts, read 872,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I had a tenth grade student knock on my door, said he wasn't selling anything. Then he said he was asking for donations because he was taking a trip to Australia.

He went into great detail about all the fun he was going to have - jet skiing, climbing, hiking, etc. He asked me if I would donate to the "cause."

I declined politely, and he told me it was a group trip, and asked me if I ever went on a trip when I was a teenager? I told him yes I did, but we had car washes and other fundraising activities that we did for months so that we could raise money to go on our trips.

He told me, "Well that's not the way it is now, we just go door to door asking for donations to raise money for trips now."

So I declined again, more firmly, and he got a little attitude with me. Said it was going to be a four week trip, and most people didn't mind donating so that he could go. So I finally had to just say no thanks and shut the door.
That's funny! I wonder if they do raise alot of money this way for their "cause". I mean if you are not related to them then who cares? Why give your hard earned money so some strange kid can go on his fun filled group trip. And more astounding, why would they, their parents, their school think its okay to ask people to foot the bill for this? Amazing

I too find it very annoying when people knock on my door. Espcially after 6 pm. I don't know what they want because I don't answer it. I have a window by my door so I can see who it is.

Last edited by lemonegg; 07-23-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
...Why give your hard earned money so some strange kid can go on his fun filled group trip. And more astounding, why would they, their parents, their school think its okay to people to foot the bill for this?

I agree. Would this kid's parents think it was ok for him to stand on a street scorner with a sign that says "GIVE ME MONEY FOR MY TRIP"? Are they teaching him to expect others to pay his way through life?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
That's funny! I wonder if they do raise alot of money this way for their "cause". I mean if you are not related to them then who cares? Why give your hard earned money so some strange kid can go on his fun filled group trip. And more astounding, why would they, their parents, their school think its okay to people to foot the bill for this? Amazing

I shared this experience with my coworkers the next day, expecting them to laugh too about this high school student going door to door asking for donations to finance his trip to Australia. But instead most of them asked why I didn't give him a donation ("Come on, I am sure you could spare $20 to help him go on his trip!") or said that they had similar experiences themselves.

One of them even said to me, "You have three kids, you know how it is when they have to ask for donations to go on a trip." I told them that yes, my kids had gone on school trips where they had to pay their way but they participated in fundraising events, mostly car washes, to earn the money.

They all explained to me that kids don't do car washes, etc. now and that in this area they fund their trips with donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House