U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
 
835 posts, read 2,522,465 times
Reputation: 380

Advertisements

Does anyone know what to do about this problem and can you explain the solution it to me in layman's terms? We've had this issue before when we first moved into our new home (new construction). They eventually replaced the tank and up sized it to a 50 gal. It seemed fine up until the past few weeks, and now the problem has resurfaced. It is the first shower after hours of inactivity, so first thing in the morning typically and sometimes later in the afternoon if no one has run hot water all day. The water valve is turned all the way on hot but never gets more than slightly above lukewarm. Once it is turned off and after about 10 minutes, another person can get in the shower and have plenty of hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge
20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Reputation: 8635
This article may answer your question:

http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/learn_more/energysmartelectricwaterheateroperation.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 AM
 
835 posts, read 2,522,465 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Thanks, but I don't have that water heater. It does not answer my question about what to do with the problem I am having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,852 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Reputation: 29266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
Does anyone know what to do about this problem...
the first shower after hours of inactivity... if no one has run hot water all day.
after about 10 minutes, another person can get in the shower and have plenty of hot water.
You aren't describing a "problem"... you're describing your annoyance.
This first draw delay in getting hot water is a compromise design of the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM
 
835 posts, read 2,522,465 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You aren't describing a "problem"... you're describing your annoyance.
This first draw delay in getting hot water is a compromise design of the system.
To me it is a "problem" to get in the shower and not have hot water. After spending almost 400K on a house you expect to have hot water to shower with, and if I knew what the problem was I would not have to ask here in the forum. I am not a plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge
20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Reputation: 8635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear
Does anyone know what to do about this problem...
the first shower after hours of inactivity... if no one has run hot water all day.
after about 10 minutes, another person can get in the shower and have plenty of hot water.
Then your problem is in the choice of water heaters purchased. You get what you pay for. Mine is a 52 gallaon WH that cost me $450 and has electronic controls on top. Thus is can be adjusted for first draw. So my first draw gives me true hot water within 30 seconds. If you don't have electronic settings then your other choice is to either upgrade the WH again or purchase a timer for it. The timer will cut off electricity to it. Thus when it is re-electrified for the first time, then within a hour(ish) of your first use its going to have piping hot water.

Your problem may be as simple as being the thermostat not being adusted correctly. Find the manual for your WH to figure out how to adjust it higher.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 07-23-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,289,034 times
Reputation: 3700
The further the tap is away from the hot water heater, the longer it will take the water from that tap to get hot. One of my showers is almost instant hot water (5 feet from the tank). One sink in the house is some 40 feet from the hot water tank and it takes some time (as in leave it running) to get hot. This a brand new home, so all of functioning properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
 
835 posts, read 2,522,465 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Then your problem is in the choice of water heaters purchased. You get what you pay for. Mine is a 52 gallaon WH that cost me $450 and has electronic controls on top. Thus is can be adjusted for first draw. So my first draw gives me true hot water within 30 seconds. If you don't have electronic settings then your other choice is to either upgrade the WH again or purchase a timer for it. The timer will cut off electricity to it. Thus when it is re-electrified for the first time, then within a hour(ish) of your first use its going to have piping hot water.
Thank you, but we did not have a choice in what was installed in the home preclosing. When the problem occured in the past while still under new homeowners warranty, again we had no choice. They replaced it without giving us a choice....most likely with the cheapest I'm sure. They did upgrade to a 50 gal. That's all we know. Looking through warranty booklets, it is a State brand. Not sure if that is low end or not. It is still under warranty but not sure if this would be considered a warranty issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 AM
 
835 posts, read 2,522,465 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
The further the tap is away from the hot water heater, the longer it will take the water from that tap to get hot. One of my showers is almost instant hot water (5 feet from the tank). One sink in the house is some 40 feet from the hot water tank and it takes some time (as in leave it running) to get hot. This a brand new home, so all of functioning properly.
We suspect part of the problem to be the location of the tank vs. where it has to travel before coming out of the faucet. The tank is in the attic and has to go down 3 levels to the crawl before coming back up to the faucets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,852 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Reputation: 29266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I am not a plumber.
How far is the water heater from the shower you prefer to use?
How far is the water heater from the other (main) HW users (kitchen, laundry,etc)?

The best compromise might be to add an additional water heater near your shower.
Then you can brag on having a $401,000 home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top