Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I just had an 8'x16' shed moved from my old house to my new one. (Posted photos of the move here: outdoor shed -- misc. questions (PIC) .) I had known that the floor wasn't in great shape, despite the shed being only a year old -- I think it was too close to the ground and/or the floor wasn't treated correctly, as it now feels "spongey." (I think it got wet from the outside, underneath.)

The shed mover suggested that I go buy some 4x4's in 16' length and "install" several of them under the shed -- basically they would run the whole width of the shed. I thought that was a great idea, except I think they should be 4x6s so they are 5-1/2" high (the shed is about that high off the ground). The mover also noticed that I had a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" thick plywood in one inside corner -- I had put it there because I was storing a cabinet and a pallet wouldn't fit (everything else I was storing was on pallets). He suggested that I put plywood over the entire current floor (in addition to the 4x4s, or 4x6s, underneath the shed) as an "extra" floor. That to me seemed like a good idea too.

OK, I am going to go buy the 4x6s in the next couple of days. The mover suggested four of them, which would be spaced a couple of feet apart (~1', 3', 5', 7'). I am actually thinking of getting more so I could space them a foot apart. Does that seem like overkill?

Needless to say I am not happy with the shedmakers. The shed is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and I am going to call them, but I suspect they will tell me I am out of luck. I have a lot of stuff to store out there but one section of the floor was REALLY bad when I was out there today so I am going to go get the 2x6's so I can get them "installed" ASAP.

And on that -- will I just be able to "slide" the 4x6s underneath -- i.e., do they not need to actually be attached to the shed? If I should attach them, how? (Also, if 4x6's are special order only in 16' lengths -- which they may be -- would 2x6's work or would they not stay upright since they are only 1.5" wide?)

Sorry for the basic questions -- I have never done anything like this before but I really need this shed!

thanks,
Karen in New Hampshire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Is the floor issue really affected by problems underneath or is it just the crappy floor material inside? If the latter you might get by with just plywood inside without needing to do anything underneath. Depending upon how the floor is constructed it may be difficult to mount 4x4s underneath it from above (which would be the only way, you can't reach under enough to mount them from below). If you're really going to try to mount supports below it you're probably best off removing the existing inside floor to do that. I don't think more wood resting directly on the ground is necessarily a good option. Plus, imperfections in the ground surface might make it difficult to place the 6" lumber in a useful way. I'm going to guess that the floor has existing joists going across the 8 foot dimension, which is why the suggestion is to run the 4x4s across the 16 foot dimension. But if those joists are part of the problem, propping them up may not do much good. You may well get more mileage from just mounting new floor on top and be done with that. If you're going to do that anyway, you might buy some plywood first and try it.

Just off the top of my head without knowing much about how the shed is made. I should go back and look at your pics in the other thread I'm sure. Hm, no real clues as to how the floor is made there, except that it seems thin overall depth-wise. If there really aren't any under supports at all, or if they're as thin as what I can see on the outside, then I suppose supporting them underneath is good. I think 4x4 is enough though. Even 2x4 would be enough, except you have to install them vertically which would be harder than the 4x4, and you'd need more of them.

Last edited by greg42; 07-23-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
depending on the ground you have under the shed and the wt of what you wish to put on it I might suggest getting a couple of 4x6 for end of shed also~ and some lag screws. instead of spacing 1 each ft place one every 16 inches
---------
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! !
---------

lag the joists together to provide a stable base for the shed then set the shed on top. then use some screws to fasten the shed to the base that you just built.

If you are unsure about this ask a few freinds and any that are used to working with wood will show you how this works~ my guess is 2x6's will actually provide enough strength

Last edited by deckdoc; 07-23-2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Sounds like you need a whole new floor system. Patching, covering, hiding, and plain ol' jack-leg redneck engineering isn't getting you anywhere.
The structure needs to be jacked up, supported by the top plates, then remove all of the old floor system. Build a new floor system ( with appropriate joists, materials, and code compliant spans) under the structure, then lower the structure back down onto the new floor.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Greg42, I suspect there were problems underneath -- one inside section of flooring felt like it was going to fall to the ground when I was out there today. I am not happy -- the shed cost almost $3,000 new just a year ago!!

The shed is raised about 5-1/2 to 6" (haven't actually measured), which is why I thought sliding several 4x6 16' boards underneath would work -- I figured the 5.5" would support the floor inside. I don't at all understand how a 4x4 would work unless it is attached to the underside of the shed -- but the shed is already there so how could I attach the 4x4's to it?!!

I have no clue how to remove the flooring, and don't want to (other than jumping up and down on it and hoping the piece of crap will fall down on its own -- obviously I am being sarcastic!).

I do appreciate your reply, just not sure I am understanding everything.

Deckdoc, you lost me. I don't think I can do what you are suggesting without raising the shed and trying to place a better base underneath it.

I will rep both of you for trying to help! I appreciate it!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Knowledgebuilder, the shed is 1 year old. :-( Needless to say I am not happy about its crappy floor.

I think I will call them first thing tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Looking at this photo it looks as if it was originally sitting on pavers and not cinderblocks. Correct?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Yes, pavers I think. I remember emailing the seller after it was installed telling them it looked really low to the ground -- if I recall correctly, we got a ton of rain in the days/weeks after it was installed and I think it sank.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. I just had an 8'x16' shed moved from my old house to my new one. (Posted photos of the move here: outdoor shed -- misc. questions (PIC) .) I had known that the floor wasn't in great shape, despite the shed being only a year old -- I think it was too close to the ground and/or the floor wasn't treated correctly, as it now feels "spongey." (I think it got wet from the outside, underneath.)

The shed mover suggested that I go buy some 4x4's in 16' length and "install" several of them under the shed -- basically they would run the whole width of the shed. I thought that was a great idea, except I think they should be 4x6s so they are 5-1/2" high (the shed is about that high off the ground). The mover also noticed that I had a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" thick plywood in one inside corner -- I had put it there because I was storing a cabinet and a pallet wouldn't fit (everything else I was storing was on pallets). He suggested that I put plywood over the entire current floor (in addition to the 4x4s, or 4x6s, underneath the shed) as an "extra" floor. That to me seemed like a good idea too.

OK, I am going to go buy the 4x6s in the next couple of days. The mover suggested four of them, which would be spaced a couple of feet apart (~1', 3', 5', 7'). I am actually thinking of getting more so I could space them a foot apart. Does that seem like overkill?

Needless to say I am not happy with the shedmakers. The shed is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and I am going to call them, but I suspect they will tell me I am out of luck. I have a lot of stuff to store out there but one section of the floor was REALLY bad when I was out there today so I am going to go get the 2x6's so I can get them "installed" ASAP.

And on that -- will I just be able to "slide" the 4x6s underneath -- i.e., do they not need to actually be attached to the shed? If I should attach them, how? (Also, if 4x6's are special order only in 16' lengths -- which they may be -- would 2x6's work or would they not stay upright since they are only 1.5" wide?)

Sorry for the basic questions -- I have never done anything like this before but I really need this shed!

thanks,
Karen in New Hampshire
From tbhe looks of it ....3 4x6 treated timbers ( Green in color) will do the trick they have special brackets to secure the 4x6 to the 2x4's that support the floor now.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Fighter1, I am confused, how would those brackets be attached? That is, how do I access them when the shed is only up about 5-6"? I would have to jack it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House