Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a new Craftsman Trimmer (Model 71102). It is replacing a Homelite trimmer I got from Home Depot about 6-8 years ago. The clerk at Sears told be that the "Expand-it" attachments I had for the Homelite trimmer would work (a blower, edger, and brush cutter.) However, it seems that this is not the case. The diameter of the shaft for the attachments is the same as the diameter of the coupler the Craftsman trimmer. There is therefore no way to join the parts.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
The Craftsman is made by Poulan, so theirs would work. But Homelite is not made by Poulan. So if it doesn't simply plug in and lock then you've answered your own question. Just remember most retail salespeople make it up on the go, so whatever they state is hearsay (most times I ask them to stop talking as I start correcting the BS they are spitting out).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Does the Craftsman say it's compatible with Expand-It attachments? I see no such reference on the link you provided.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM

The expand or Site says their attachments are compatible with Craftsman trimmers. Craftsman's Site does not say if the attachments are compatible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I've had no problem mixing brands that use Expand-It attachments, which suggests to me that either the Crafstman power head does not accommodate Expand-It attachments, or the attachments you have are brand-specific and not Expand-It compatible.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Or the attachments may be of a different generations/versions thru the years. As you said your old trimmer was 6-8 years old, so your accessories would probably fit an older generation of Craftsman trimmer.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Good news, you bought it at Sears.... take it back if your attachments aren't working...... especially if you have quite a collection. They're not cheap. I have a Toro PowerHead and a Craftsman Edger Attachment, they work fine.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Good news, you bought it at Sears.... take it back if your attachments aren't working...... especially if you have quite a collection. They're not cheap. I have a Toro PowerHead and a Craftsman Edger Attachment, they work fine.
I went thru three TORO power heads last year - they were crap right out of the box and got worse as the 30 day return period passed... I took them all back to HD - NO problem bought a new Ryobi and it was alot better.... I would have bought a John Deere or Echo but they do not work with my attachments... I have at least one of every attachment, so it is not practical to change brands at this point..
Remember SEARS was the one that had a circular saw that would only use their brand blades ... I have not bought anything from SEARS since the last century...

Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Okay, I spoke too soon, and now I feel foolish.

When I unpacked the trimmer, I wanted to see if the attachments would fit, before I assembled it, since I was likely to take it back to Sears if it the attachments would not fit. However, when I tried to attach the trimmer head that came with the unit, I had the same problem (e.g. the diameter of the trimmer head was the same diameter as the shaft.) When I looked more carefully, the unit trimmer shipped with a 4" long "male" tube in the coupler, apparently for protection during shipping. When I removed the disposable tube, the factory trimmer head and all my old attachments fit like a glove. They all work perfectly.

That you for all your responses, even if I did send everyone barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
I went thru three TORO power heads last year - they were crap right out of the box and got worse as the 30 day return period passed... I took them all back to HD - NO problem bought a new Ryobi and it was alot better.... I would have bought a John Deere or Echo but they do not work with my attachments... I have at least one of every attachment, so it is not practical to change brands at this point..
Remember SEARS was the one that had a circular saw that would only use their brand blades ... I have not bought anything from SEARS since the last century...
That's funny. I have had completely the opposite experience. The Ryobi powerhead died out in less than a year and my Toro Powerhead is going like a champ. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Okay, I spoke too soon, and now I feel foolish.

When I unpacked the trimmer, I wanted to see if the attachments would fit, before I assembled it, since I was likely to take it back to Sears if it the attachments would not fit. However, when I tried to attach the trimmer head that came with the unit, I had the same problem (e.g. the diameter of the trimmer head was the same diameter as the shaft.) When I looked more carefully, the unit trimmer shipped with a 4" long "male" tube in the coupler, apparently for protection during shipping. When I removed the disposable tube, the factory trimmer head and all my old attachments fit like a glove. They all work perfectly.

That you for all your responses, even if I did send everyone barking up the wrong tree.

That's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House