U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM

3,252 posts, read 4,019,103 times
Default Which way should I run my laminate floors? (Pictures included)

Here are various layouts. Arrows indicate direction of bamboo laminate. X's indicate rooms that will not have laminate and all room have doors. Rectangles at bottom of drawing are Stairs which will have laminate on them.

I think the first picture (all pointing up) is the correct way. Only concern is that... as we all know, walls are never square... so the floor could be tilted in the bedrooms.

Second picture... I think would make the hall look really choppy and waste a lot of material.

Third picture - I think would eliminate the concern of the floor tilting too much. The direction change would obviously be in the door way using T molds. Might be kind of weird going into a room where the floor changes direction.

Thoughts? Putting it down tonight!
Attached Thumbnails
Which way should I run my laminate floors?  (Pictures included)-layout-1.jpg   Which way should I run my laminate floors?  (Pictures included)-layout-2.jpg   Which way should I run my laminate floors?  (Pictures included)-layout-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,246,426 times
I like #3, especially because the bedroom doors will break things up anyway.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM

96 posts, read 93,364 times

Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,713,937 times
Normal convention is to lay the boards pointing in the longest dimension. That would be #3. Bedroom doors will reduce any weirdness, but I think once they are in, you'll be used to it and it will be more of a feature.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 AM

DW picked...... #2. She wanted to avoid transition strip into the bedrooms. Started on it last night. You know what they say... Happy Wife.... Happy Life.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,246,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
DW picked...... #2. She wanted to avoid transition strip into the bedrooms. Started on it last night. You know what they say... Happy Wife.... Happy Life.
Good luck and post some pics when done.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM

I'll try to get some pics up when I get done. Man, I really hate laying flooring. I grew up in the industry and just like plumbing.... it and I do not get along. I am pretty good at everything else though.

Hopefully this incompetent flooring store will have my Stairnose in tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 AM

244 posts, read 612,688 times
#2 is the way I would have gone. Actually, we did do it that way cause we didn't want the transitions, either. Smart wife

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM

8,215 posts, read 11,562,962 times
I always thought the best way to lay hardwood floors was perpendicular to the floor joists, as the wood planks spanning the joists adds some structural integrity to the floor system. Running parallel would remove any structural contribution by the flooring planks, such that you're relying on just one layer of plywood typically.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I always thought the best way to lay hardwood floors was perpendicular to the floor joists, as the wood planks spanning the joists adds some structural integrity to the floor system. Running parallel would remove any structural contribution by the flooring planks, such that you're relying on just one layer of plywood typically.

Well, if that's the case then this was the right way.

The floor turned out good, sure was a challenge getting boards under door casings, took some creative manipulation. One thing is for sure, it's fast going when you are in a square part of a room. But when you have to cut pieces around objects, slide them under door casings or anything else like that... it really slows you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House