U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
dgz dgz started this thread

798 posts, read 1,759,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
dgz, can you please post the link where you found the NO answer. I've been planning to upgrade just my condenser from 13 seer to 16 seer in a few months. I'm surprised that doing so wont make my entire system work more efficiently. Thanks.
Actually, part of it came from googling, but the rest was confirmed in speaking with an hvac person late this afternoon.

I'm concerned about your 13 ACX experience... because that is what I'm having installed tomorrow. The hvac person said that if I went to a 16 seer unit and did not replace my furance, I would see probably around 13 seer performance from the entire system, because the newer furnaces have this multi-variable flow where flow can be readjusted, whereas my current older furnace is single-flow.

He also said that since my electric bill in the worst months--July and August--is only $200/mo, that paying the extra several hundred dollars for a 16 seer without replacing my furnace over the next 10 years would mean that I wouldn't get the savings back to justify the cost difference between the two units.

I was disappointed with the news because I have been taking all these other measures around my house to make the place very energy efficient and I was really wanting to get the most efficient unit possible (but within my budget and so that I could see significant monthly savings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM

27,801 posts, read 20,160,144 times
FYI : The new industry standard set by the government starting in 2014 will be a minimum of 16 seer rating.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Arggh! Ok, I just spoke with another hvac person and he said, 'Get the 16 seer.' It won't be perform like a 16 with the older furnace, but it still still perform better. And the key thing, and this is what stood out to me, he said: "If you decide to sell your house in 5 years, even if you still have the old furnace, having an 16 seer unit vs a 13 will be a stronger plus with a prospective buyer.' So, I've hired him to come out and install a Rheem 16 seer, along with new coil and plenum. This including tax will come to $5250.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
FYI : The new industry standard set by the government starting in 2014 will be a minimum of 16 seer rating.
No, in 2015, the standard will be 14 Seer.

https://www.acca.org/archives/indust...s/hot-air/5808

But at this rate, probably in 2017, just 5 years away, it may be 16 Seer for all we know...

Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM

27,801 posts, read 20,160,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
No, in 2015, the standard will be 14 Seer.

https://www.acca.org/archives/indust...s/hot-air/5808

But at this rate, probably in 2017, just 5 years away, it may be 16 Seer for all we know...
According to a representative from the Trane Mfg Co they told me that they were required by a Government Mandate that their units starting in 2014 had to be a minimum of 16 seer.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM

27,210 posts, read 20,070,212 times
Quote:
Upon receiving the consensus agreement and analyzing the recommended energy conservation standards contained in the agreement, DOE issued a direct final rule amending the energy conservation standards for residential furnaces and central air conditioners and heat pumps on June 27, 2011. 76 FR 37408. Following the publication of the direct final rule, DOE accepted public comments on the adopted standards until October 17, 2011. Upon consideration of the comments received, DOE confirmed the energy conservation standard levels adopted in the direct final rule as the Federal standard levels for residential furnaces and residential central air conditioners and heat pumps. The standards established in the final rule will be applied starting May 1, 2013 for non-weatherized furnaces, and January 1, 2015, for weatherized furnaces and central air conditioners and heat pumps.
Building Technologies Program: Residential Furnaces and Central Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps Direct Final Rule

It's 14 SEER starting in 2015. The kicker is that there are different standards for different regions. The SW region has to have a 14 SEER requirement along with a 12.2 EER requirement. The SE region needs only to have the 14 SEER requirement.

Regulations.gov

Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

AN UPDATE...

Just an update for anyone following this thread. Today, I got the system installed. It's a new 16 Seer, Bryan 113A/116B.

If anyone needs to replace a condenser and coil, but not yet your older furnace... and you really want a higher Seer like 16, I will share here what I've learned. :-)

Most higher Seer units are '2-speed' where the cooling can go back and forth between high and low. These require the newer multi-flow furnaces.

HOWEVER, there are also '1-speed' higher Seer units that can work with both single- and multi-flow furnaces.

The first HVAC contractor I spoke with was very helpful and informative, but he kept saying that he couldn't install a 16 Seer unit--and I think it might be because he sells only Lennox (and he mentions on his website that he's a Lennox distributor). Because today, when I was talking with the second HVAC contractor--the one I hired--he said that he doesn't think Lennox sells 1-speed high Seer units. So this may explain why the first contractor kept pushing 13 Seer units.

Fortunately, this second contractor works with different companies and he put in a Bryant single speed 16 Seer (4 ton). He said that it will perform at a higher efficiency than the 13 Seer when attached to a single-flow furnace--and even more efficiently later when it's attached to a new multi-flow furnace. (He also said that if I end up replacing the older furnace early enough in the new unit's life-cycle, and I felt a 2-speed was a 'must have,' he would take a trade-in for a higher Seer '2-speed' (such as 20 Seer.) So, that's always a potential option, but I'm just fine with what I have installed. It's efficient and 'ready for the future.' :-) )

Also, with the coil replacement (which came with a TXV valve), he added a new overflow pan with a float switch, flushed the refrigerant lines and drains... He also brazed the copper lines with nitrogen. I didn't know about this technique, but he sent me to some youtube videos (just google 'nitrogen brazing') on why it's important to use nitrogen (and according to him, not everyone does).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House