Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Aren't stairs on a deck that needs stairs required by code?
Unless there's a railing - perhaps that's the choice the OP has: Whether to create an opening and add stairs.

Quote:
Builders actually sell houses without garage door openers? I figured that was common-place in every new construction build.
Some new houses I've purchased came with them, some didn't. (None were low-priced homes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindas45 View Post
Greetings,

We are buying a new house(first time home buyers) and wanted some opinion on these upgrades, if its worth to do it with builder or do later on.

1. Garage Door opener (Builder is asking $800)
2. Laundry tub ($450)
3. Deck stairs for a deck which needs no more than 4 steps ($600)
4. Wrought Iron grill for stairs and on top for two storey family room ($1700)
5. Door for formal living($800)

Please advice.

Many Thanks!!

Some of the comments that were made were spot on, some I think are assuming too many things

1) garage door opener, its an easy add, and you can get them installed for like $400 including the opening from any number of garage door places. do it later
2) yes the laundry tub probably only costs $100 for a cheap one with faucet, however I'm assuming the plumbing isn't going to be set up to just drop one in here, with supply lines and drain lines run if the builder doesn't do it. I would think it would cost more to do later to get a plumber out there to install one and run the pipes after the fact.
3) Thats a lot for deck stairs if its made out of regualer PT board. if you're talking composite, that costs a bit more, HOW does the deck come without stairs!?
4)$1700 is a huge upcharge if you're talking about from wood, unless you have a really big open space. however, if you're talking about an upcharge from a kneewall of drywall vs a iron ballusters and wood rail..... then that changes things, I would expect that to cost significantly more than a few hundred. my upcharge on my stairs and small space in the foyer was about $300 from wood to wrought iron.

5) the door, if there is a doorway, that is of a decent size, installing a prehung door, and trim isn't all that pricey. However, if basically it is they fully wall it off vs having an opening and door, and if the door is expensive it might make sense to have the builder do it.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Decks stairs are another $50 worth of materials and even if you need a "tutor" to show how cut and hang stringers there is a HUGE upcharge built intto $600.
Quote:
Aren't stairs on a deck that needs stairs required by code?

Builders actually sell houses without garage door openers? I figured that was common-place in every new construction build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
3) Thats a lot for deck stairs if its made out of regualer PT board. if you're talking composite, that costs a bit more, HOW does the deck come without stairs!?.

The one thing you guys are forgetting- stairs HAVE TO HAVE landings. Which would normally consist of a concrete pad. A minimum of 3X3, but usually about 4X3.
Granted, it's not a lot of concrete but there a lot involved in making that concrete appear.

And there is no "code" requirement for stairs on an atypical residential deck.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
And there is no "code" requirement for stairs on an atypical residential deck.
You're right, I was thinking railings.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 AM

20 posts, read 78,892 times
Thank you all for your responses.

A follow up question -

Do you recommend concrete slab below the backside deck(daylight basement with entry on the side) which is about 2 feet tall and we would probably never go below it. Its basically unusable.
My concern if its left as is below with pine straw or something, it might be a breeding ground for insects, snakes etc.

Please advice

Last edited by bindas45; 08-18-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add a follow up question

Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You're right, I was thinking railings.

Railings can also be a part of the equation-
any porch, stoop, deck, etc. that is more than 30" above the final grade and/or stairs that have four or more rise, require railings. And stairs require railings with "grasp-able" handrail- the old days of a 2X4 cap on the railing doesn't fly anymore (at least where it's enforced).

Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Granted, it's not a lot of concrete but there a lot involved in making that concrete appear.
I've watched my husband make concrete "appear." It wasn't very involved. Build a frame. Mix the concrete. Finish it.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've watched my husband make concrete "appear." It wasn't very involved. Build a frame. Mix the concrete. Finish it.
Not that easy in production home building-
But yeah, it "could be" that easy.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Not that easy in production home building-
But yeah, it "could be" that easy.

You're right, its not that hard, but it still has to be done, concrete has to find its way to the jobsight, someone has to build a form, mix the stuff, and pour it. Same with teh stairs, not that hard to do, although harder than the concrete, and a railing.

there may be no requirement for stairs, however, I guess I've never been on a deck wtihout them. If I asked someone to build a deck, I would assume it comes with at least 1 set of stairs to the yard... but then, I've never contracted for a deck, I've just helped build them, maybe that is assuming too much.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindas45 View Post
Greetings,

We are buying a new house(first time home buyers) and wanted some opinion on these upgrades, if its worth to do it with builder or do later on.

1. Garage Door opener (Builder is asking $800)
2. Laundry tub ($450)
3. Deck stairs for a deck which needs no more than 4 steps ($600)
4. Wrought Iron grill for stairs and on top for two storey family room ($1700)
5. Door for formal living($800)

Please advice.

Many Thanks!!
I'm on Long Island (NYC Metro area); going through a major remodel, and these prices are outrageous; except, possibly, the wrought iron railing (if it's a fancy...victorian...design). I'm assuming the door is an interior and no additional framing is required.

I'm betting calling a "railing" a "grill" and a "balcony" an "on top" has the builder thinking you don't know the value of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House