Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times

Advertisements

I hope this is under the right section.

Okay, 2 weeks ago, my basement(unfinished) began to flood.
The Flood was caused by a in a small portion of a pipe. That portion of pipe was removed, but it sent pressure to another "dead" pipe and every time the toliet was flushed, water would pour out. So that pipe was cut and capped and everything seemed great.

Then it began to rain, and water started to seep through the same replaced pipe but further down. So, once it stopped raining, the water stopped flooding.

Now, today it's been sunny with NO rain, and yet water is still coming through.

It's just coming from nowhere, we didn't even flush the toliet.

What the hell could this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Call your handiest buddy or neighbor over NOW.
Tell them to bring their good flashlight.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Is this "water" or sewage? Believe me you'll know the difference. I am guessing that you are in older area that unfortunately has "combined sewers" and the rain may have just been the trigger that expose a whole lot of semi-interrelated problems with not just pipes in your basement but a range of poorly connected sewer lines that probably flow from your neighbors...

These are the kinds of things that plumbers get bad names from as the only sane way to fix these issues are to trench all the way back to the biggest sewer line furthest away and then start fixing all the way to each fixture in your home AND THAT STILL MIGHT NOT deal with problems like gutters and french drains in your yard or neighbors yards that are improperly cross connected.

Best case this is thousands of dollars worth of labor and parts. Worst case it is TENS of thousands of dollars...

How long have you been in this house? How bad do you want to stay there?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Is this "water" or sewage? Believe me you'll know the difference. I am guessing that you are in older area that unfortunately has "combined sewers" and the rain may have just been the trigger that expose a whole lot of semi-interrelated problems with not just pipes in your basement but a range of poorly connected sewer lines that probably flow from your neighbors...

These are the kinds of things that plumbers get bad names from as the only sane way to fix these issues are to trench all the way back to the biggest sewer line furthest away and then start fixing all the way to each fixture in your home AND THAT STILL MIGHT NOT deal with problems like gutters and french drains in your yard or neighbors yards that are improperly cross connected.

Best case this is thousands of dollars worth of labor and parts. Worst case it is TENS of thousands of dollars...

How long have you been in this house? How bad do you want to stay there?
I'm asking this for my grandmother who has rented the home for 24 years.

So, would you move if the issue was bad?

It's water coming out of the pipe.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
We could spend literally days trying to diagnose a problem that is being explained in ? terms.
Why don't you just call the LL and tell (s)he that there's a problem and it needs to be fixed before there are possible health concerns!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I agree with KB. Landlord problem. I recently had to have a sewer line replaced on a property I own. It is just part of the deal. Took me all of a day to figure out options and let the job get done. It is MUCH cheaper to jump on a problem like this fast than let it cause major ongoing damage.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Third vote for calling the landlord. That's why she's been paying rent for 24 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM

She's already informed the landlord and a plumber is coming back out tommorow, but what could be causing this problem?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
...but what could be causing this problem?
Ask the plumber- he's the one LOOKING AT IT!
Then you can report it to the rest of us.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If you can't tell by seeing then its unlikely we can tell over the internet. From your description even a plumber couldn't tell over the internet.Seesm to involve the sewer line from the toilet problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House