Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM

7,297 posts, read 12,201,696 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know what a solid element electric cooktop is, they are cooktops with heated solid metal discs. While historically popular in Europe, they were never very popular in the United States.

I know that a few manufacturers offered some models for the U.S. in the late 80s to early 90s, but they were pretty much only offered by high-end appliance manufacturers, and were well out of the price range for the average consumer. By the time smoothtop electric cooktops became available, solid element electric cooktops vanished into obscurity in the United States.

So, why the solid element cooktop never caught on in the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
My recollection is they worked less well than a coil element top, as in they took longer to heat up and longer to change temps. Plus, they were quickly superseded by ceramic smooth tops. These at first (and possibly still sometimes) also had those drawbacks, but in exchange you got a completely flat top, whereas the solid elements still didn't make a flat surface.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
What advantages did they offer to entice consumers to move away from available alternatives?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Those??

I used to wonder about it too. I did cook on those and had no real complaints. Still popular in Europe and Australia.
Those are not slower than a coil, and cook even, have a longer life, are safe, simple to clean and good to your cook pots.
Now they are outdated. However, I prefer gas for cooking.

http://www.kitchen-emporium.com/welldone.html

OP: here is answer to your question
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6667,5762783

Last edited by elnina; 08-27-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
We have them and I can't wait to get rid of it when we remodel.

Slow to heat up, erratic heat, slow to cool down when changing cooking temps.
then if you get any water on top of the element and your cooking it makes all sorts of noise and the water pits the element as it is boiled off.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,931,448 times
My parents had a Jenn-Air cooktop in the late 80's early 90's with those burners...they did a complete kitchen remodel...and purchased all new appliances including a Jenn-Air cooktop, this cooktop was very expensive and it was the worst cooktop ever...my mom would constantly complain on how long it took to cook on those, heck it took almost an hour for a 6-8 quart pot of water to boil{covered}...crazy... The attachments were great, I recall a grill, a wok, and griddle that was interchangeable...those worked great, but the actually burners were horrible.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
For those who don't know what a solid element electric cooktop is, they are cooktops with heated solid metal discs. While historically popular in Europe, they were never very popular in the United States.

I know that a few manufacturers offered some models for the U.S. in the late 80s to early 90s, but they were pretty much only offered by high-end appliance manufacturers, and were well out of the price range for the average consumer. By the time smoothtop electric cooktops became available, solid element electric cooktops vanished into obscurity in the United States.

So, why the solid element cooktop never caught on in the United States?
Maybe it was because "...few manufacturers offered some models for the U.S. in the late 80s to early 90s, but they were pretty much only offered by high-end appliance manufacturers, and were well out of the price range for the average consumer."

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,183 times
We had these in my house in Australia when I was growing up. I think my mother had them installed sometime in the 1980s. They were okay but difficult as anything to get to the 'right' temperature- even on a 'medium' setting it was either too hot or too cool- they were *very* temperamental to say the least!

I think my mother has had them replaced in recent years with something more modern.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
I'd rather cook on gas. I suspect that most people, given the choice would want the same.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 35,819 times
Exclamation solid element cooktops

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Maybe it was because "...few manufacturers offered some models for the U.S. in the late 80s to early 90s, but they were pretty much only offered by high-end appliance manufacturers, and were well out of the price range for the average consumer."
I have used these for over 25 years, and I am on my 2nd one now. I would love to remodel and have another but cannot find one. These are easy to clean and easy to use, you just cut the burner off about 2-3 minutes earlier than you normally would. It cools down just like a regular electric. You DON'T have all that awful glass to worry about spotting/streaking/scratching, etc. If you burn something on it-all you have to do is cut the burner up to highest for 2-3 minutes and it burns itself off! I don't know why this didn't catch on - I want it to make a come-back! LOL I really have enjoyed both of mine, especially the ease of cleaning since nothing could spill underneath! Glass cooktops are ok when they are brand new-my daughter in law goes half crazy trying to keep hers clean, and all I have to do is burn my off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House