Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times

Advertisements

Have no need for water on the door. Looking at stainless, bottom frezzer and 22 cu ft. Almost all the models have the water on the door, am I making a mistake by not going that route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
It is your choice but be aware there are likely going to be better deals on the refrigerators that are more common. Right now that appears to be the French Door models which are everywhere now. Personally I hate French Doors. They are inconvenient and difficult to close properly (or should I say easy to close inproperly). We just bought a French Door because we need a larger capacity and the only models were Frnech Doors or Side by Side which I dislike even more. Anyway do your research. Refirgerators today are really made poorly. The days of them lasting 20 years are gone. The manufacturers blame the energy saving features but I really believe it is more planned obsolence. We ended up with Kitchenaid and it is okay. It does make a rattling noise eery so often so I need to get a serviceman out already. Not what I would like. Jay

Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM

79 posts, read 302,123 times
It's your preference. Models without water/ice on the door are more limited for the french door variety. I have seen many of them on Home Depot and Lowes.

If you do get the models with the water/ice on the door be wary that this is the most commong component that breaks on refrigeratos. You should also note that the more "techie" features the water/ice component contains the more likely it will give you problems down the road.

As far as refrigerators lasting a long while they can certainly do so. You do need to research which brands are least likely to break down on you. For example GE brands are usually at the bottom of the chain in terms of how likely they are to break. Do a little bit of research and you should be fine.

Good Luck.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Maytag, Kenmore, Whirlpool and other make models with bottom freezer and single door, some with reversible door,here's one I saw used in my local market just to give you an idea of what I mean:

Stainless Steel Whirlpool Gold refrigerator

Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Have no need for water on the door. Looking at stainless, bottom frezzer and 22 cu ft. Almost all the models have the water on the door, am I making a mistake by not going that route?
This is the new LG counter-depth fridge we are about to order. It seems to fit in line with your want list, but is slightly smaller at 20.7 cu ft. IMHO, the water and ice dispenser in the door is just one more thing to break. Not to mention, ice storage on the door always seems to melt a bit as ambient air somehow finds a way in through the dispenser door...at least that is an annoying problem with our current Whirlpool.

LG LFC21776ST: Large Capacity Counter Depth 3 Door French Door Refrigerator with Smart Cooling | LG USA

Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Investigate Northland & SubZero...

The value of a Northland or SubZero is NOT just the look. You can get 'em in plain white or black as well as SS and (my favorite) fully cased to disappear right into surrounding cabinets.

The Northland and SubZero fridges are truly built to last as long as possible. The compressors are designed to work better and be less trouble than any other style -- the way that the use seperate systems for fridge and freezer keeps food fresher longer. The true cabinet depth units either in extra width side-by-side, all fridge, over/under or drawer configuration really give most room to load up food.

Northland Kitchen Appliances

Refrigerators | Sub-Zero Preservation | Sub-Zero & Wolf Appliances

There was a period when they shifted over to digital controls from mechanical that reliability was an issue but they over that now and are definitely worth the money.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
When ours went out last year, we bought a French door with water/ice in the door. Actually, the water saves us a lot because the kids don't have to open the fridge and stare at all the stuff for 10 minutes while thirsty. It saves on electricity.

We hadn't given this a whole lot of thought when buying. The previous fridge we bought was for an apt and the house had an older side by side that went out.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Where I live we have well water. Yuck. We dont drink it. We had a side by side with water and ice in the door. It was a black fridge and left a mineral mess on the front if anyone accidently hit the water lever. We were going to replace it with a SS bottom freezer. I looked at Whirlpool, Maytag and LG. All had no water in the door. I ended up getting a great deal on a regular standard top freezer fridge so I went that route. What I didnt like about the bottom freezer models were the reviews. Also it seemed cumbersome to pull out the drawer, then the slide out tray to grab ice (if it even had an ice maker, many don't).

Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I'm old enough to remember when cars didn't have air conditioning. Once you get it, you never go back. I feel the same way about my water on the door. Cool, filtered water (tap water tastes HORRIBLE where I live) at the touch of a button, with or without cubes.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Where I live we have well water. Yuck. We dont drink it. We had a side by side with water and ice in the door. It was a black fridge and left a mineral mess on the front if anyone accidently hit the water lever. We were going to replace it with a SS bottom freezer. I looked at Whirlpool, Maytag and LG. All had no water in the door. I ended up getting a great deal on a regular standard top freezer fridge so I went that route. What I didnt like about the bottom freezer models were the reviews. Also it seemed cumbersome to pull out the drawer, then the slide out tray to grab ice (if it even had an ice maker, many don't).
Love my well water!

We do have our own water treatment system, though: a water softener to remove calcium and protect the hot water heater and a whole house filter. In addition, water from the fridge (on the door) is filtered again.

Now I am really aware of the chlorine in public water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House