Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

It's more things I can't do that I used to that are my problem.

Replace windows. Put on a new roof. I don't climb trees (much) but I have a chain saw on a stick and an extendable saw/cutter that will reach pretty high, especially when I'm on my Little Giant ladder. I haven't been on the 26 foot ladder for years. I don't climb on the roof anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
Exterior painting. Lawn weed control and fertilizer. Needed complete landscape job in front of house - hired that out. That way it got done in 2 1/2 days and somebody else dug up the sod and dug all the holes.

Reminds me of something I recently saw on Facebook - "Yes dear, I'm going to do your project, there's no need to remind me every six months about it."

Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't climb trees (much) but I have a chain saw on a stick and an extendable saw/cutter that will reach pretty high, especially when I'm on my Little Giant ladder. I haven't been on the 26 foot ladder for years. I don't climb on the roof anymore.
Unless you're just trimming really small limbs using a ladder for tree work is a death wish. My Brother had a tree service and the only time the ladder came out was if he was trimming, he'd use it to get a head start into the tree so he didn't have to spike the tree at the bottom to keep it looking "purty".

Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
I think this is the year I am going to start paying people to do some things around the house. I have a couple projects going on and would like to start a few more. I am looking at it as what is my time worth? My time is more valuable working on remodeling the inside for 2 hours than spending 2 hours outside. I can pay a lawn guy $30 to do my lawn but would have to pay a handyman/carpenter $40-$50/hr to do work inside my home... therefore I choose to pay the lawn guy... when I am working inside the home.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Obviously, projects will fall into different categories for different people with different levels of interest, skill, or experience, but for me there are:

-- easy projects I know I'll do....minor painting, cleaning my siding, easy concrete pouring/patching, work, etc.
-- easy projects that I won't do -- switching out a light fixture, quick plumbing repair, larger interior painting jobs, mow/fertilize lawn, etc

-- hard/dangerous/labor intensive projects I won't do -- cleaning by hillside of brush and vines, gutter repair, major landscaping
-- hard projects I WILL DO -- can't think of any

Then there are those middle level projects that aren't really difficult but may be tedious -- like the driveway sealing (which I HAVE DONE, and WILL DO....)

....another project I'd put in that mid category is insulating my two attics...not HARD, just tedious.....you have to get into a small space, get dirty, sweaty, etc.... THIS project I already know...will be hired out.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Obviously, projects will fall into different categories for different people with different levels of interest, skill, or experience, but for me there are:

-- easy projects I know I'll do....minor painting, cleaning my siding, easy concrete pouring/patching, work, etc.
-- easy projects that I won't do -- switching out a light fixture, quick plumbing repair, larger interior painting jobs, mow/fertilize lawn, etc

-- hard/dangerous/labor intensive projects I won't do -- cleaning by hillside of brush and vines, gutter repair, major landscaping
-- hard projects I WILL DO -- can't think of any

Then there are those middle level projects that aren't really difficult but may be tedious -- like the driveway sealing (which I HAVE DONE, and WILL DO....)

....another project I'd put in that mid category is insulating my two attics...not HARD, just tedious.....you have to get into a small space, get dirty, sweaty, etc.... THIS project I already know...will be hired out.
CRAP!! I just realized many of the projects I need to do fall into yout hard/dangerous/labor intensive category!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Mowing the lawn and taking care of the landscaping in the front and back yard. I'm sure I could do it myself but I pay a gardener to do it. $280/month for weekly service.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Yes, mowing the lawn. I used to do it and I may again but for the time being I pay someone else to do it.

Painting and carpet cleaning. I can do it, I have done it, but I'm over it.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Quote:
I pay a gardener to do it. $280/month for weekly service.
Wow. I pay a yard service 32.00 a mow for 24 mows a year (spring thru maybe early october)
He's not license to spray fertilizer so I pay another service 55.00 a visit for five weed treatments.
What's that? about....1,050.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House