Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 27,429 times

Advertisements

Hello
We live in upstate NY area. I made an offer to a house and the offer was accepted. The house has a foundation wall crack and basement floor cracks. The pictures are attached. The inspector says it is normal and we should not worry. I would like to get your two cents as well.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a house: Cracks-078.jpg   Buying a house: Cracks-095.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
How old is the house?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Built in 1996.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansar View Post
Hello
We live in upstate NY area. I made an offer to a house and the offer was accepted. The house has a foundation wall crack and basement floor cracks. The pictures are attached. The inspector says it is normal and we should not worry. I would like to get your two cents as well.
Thanks.
Well... It may not be a horrible thing, but it's certainly not a good thing. I've got a 100-year old 2-story brick house that has NO cracks like that in the floor or the block basement walls.

What's going on is settling. It's somewhat typical. But what nobody can, at this juncture tell, is how much MORE settling there will be.

I don't know that that cracking is a deal killer, but I would be at least somewhat concerned about it.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I just had a home inspection for mine and the inspector said other than settling, the concrete people now add more water to stretch the concrete / cut cost, so the foundation isn't as solid as it used to be. This is diff from your case though since your basement is on cement block, not poured concrete, but I just want to throw it out there if others read this thread.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Let me guess, your inspector works with your salesperson to push through the sale.

You really need to have the house checked out by a structural engineer as most of us on CD aren't qualified and can't see the entire structure. Expensive, yes, but can you afford not to have an independent expert advise you? Have you looked for any water damage around the cracks? Are the walls true? Each winter as the ground freezes and thaws, it will causes water/ ice in the cracks to expand and put pressure on the walls.

Always use independent and separate chimney inspector, plumber, and electrician before you buy the house so they have no financial interest in the outcome.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Let me guess, your inspector works with your salesperson to push through the sale. Add to that - the inspectors can not be held liable for their mistakes

You really need to have the house checked out by a structural engineer as most of us on CD aren't qualified and can't see the entire structure. Expensive, yes, but can you afford not to have an independent expert advise you? Have you looked for any water damage around the cracks? Are the walls true? Each winter as the ground freezes and thaws, it will causes water/ ice in the cracks to expand and put pressure on the walls. A good reputable concrete contractor may be just as good (find your own)

Always use independent and separate chimney inspector, plumber, and electrician before you buy the house so they have no financial interest in the outcome.

You will also want your own arborist to do a site eval - even looking at the trees close to the property line on the neighbors side of a fence....

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
Good luck

Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansar View Post
Hello
Thanks.
The floor cracks would not bother me as much as the wall crack.. Is the picture of the foundation where the basement is on the inside How far down does that crack go and is the waterproofing compromised below grade... What does the lot look like in terms of water shedding My concern would be water coming in that crack - especially if you plan to finish the basement... water in a finished basement is not any fun

Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Heidi60 that is exactly right. I didn't have a buyer's agent and the inspector was one of the three suggested by the seller's agent. In his report he says "no corrective action is necessary".

And guys thanks for the advise. I will go ahead and look for a foundation expert tomorrow before finalizing the deal.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevapaul View Post
Well it might not be a big problem. You can cover those cracks with the strong wall base and finishing.It looks pretty good if you choose the furniture according to your wall finishing colors. It is the best way to decorate our house.

Why didn't I think of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House