Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I don't think I could use my dishwasher to clean foot wear or tools because it sounds to be unclean.

News, It takes the right mix of ingenuity and desperation to discover new uses for old tools, but whoever first tried steaming a salmon fillet in their dishwasher must’ve been drunk. For folks who are curious about what else their kitchen contraptions can do, here’s a rundown of the most unconventional uses for your home dishwasher.

6 Unconventional Uses for your Dishwasher - DishwasherInfo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I've heard of the dishwasher-steamed fish before, but man I don't think I could bring myself to try to do it!

I've also heard of cleaning baseball caps in there.

Some of those things sound weird, like tools and shoes but it's probably fine. Except I think I'd have to run an extra empty cycle before putting more dishes in. (using the Kool-Aid mix I guess, LOL) Really, though, that should be just psychological. The dishwasher with its 90+ minute cycle shouldn't leave any traces of loose dirt in the machine after any of these uses.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
They forgot one: Canning.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Cleaning Brushes in the dishwasher? Gross!

I have heard of cooking fish and also beef wrapped in foil in the dishwasher.

Even more strange is an article I read that suggested you can cook a roast wrapped in foil on your car's engine. Wrap a roast in foil, put it on your car engine and cook dinner on your drive home from work.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I don't think I could use my dishwasher to clean foot wear or tools because it sounds to be unclean.

News, It takes the right mix of ingenuity and desperation to discover new uses for old tools, but whoever first tried steaming a salmon fillet in their dishwasher must’ve been drunk. For folks who are curious about what else their kitchen contraptions can do, here’s a rundown of the most unconventional uses for your home dishwasher.

6 Unconventional Uses for your Dishwasher - DishwasherInfo.com
The Super Chief will still let me wash out the cars litter boxes in the dishwasher.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I often just use mine to store potatoes /onions and other hard veggies in.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Here's a great article listing 22 things to put in the dishwasher, things you shouldn't put in the dishwasher, and things that can go in the dishwasher but don't seem right.

You Can Put That in the Dishwasher? | Real Simple

I wish I had known that sporting equipment (football and lacrosse) could be washed in the dishwasher! Darn! All those wasted years cleaning them the hard way!

Another interesting concept is washing potatoes in the dishwasher (rinse cycle only).

And while fish does cook in the dishwasher, the article warns that it's unwise because it makes the dishwasher smell LIKE FISH. Imagine that!

Read page three about washing computer keyboards in the dishwasher. I'm afraid to try!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Read page three about washing computer keyboards in the dishwasher. I'm afraid to try!
LOL I have heard of that before too but that's again one of those things I can't wrap my mind around trying. Keyboard in a bath of water. The electronics in a keyboard are pretty simple so it may not hurt anything as long as it dries out quickly and COMPLETELY before you plug it in again. But even plain water can corrode some of those connections I think if left wet long enough.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Cooking the the dishwasher used to be a big fad. Also coooknig by wrapping things in foil and placing them on your car engine before a long drive. Neither one ever worked very well.

Put tools in the dishwahser? Are you kidding? It would take weeks of washes to get the grease off the inside of the dishwasher so you could wash dishes in it again. Toys? If they got that dirty, we woudl just throw them out. A disher does nto remove really heavy gunk anyway and a little dirt will simply rinse off.

I am trying to think what sporting equipment you would put in a dishwasher. Certainly not bats, balls, shoes, oars, mitts, golf clubs, or clothing. The only things I can think of is a helmut or a cup, maybe a golf ball. I have never needed to wash a helmut and i would not put a cup in my dishwahser.

This seems like bad advice form greenies trying to be clever.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am trying to think what sporting equipment you would put in a dishwasher. Certainly not bats, balls, shoes, oars, mitts, golf clubs, or clothing. The only things I can think of is a helmut or a cup, maybe a golf ball. I have never needed to wash a helmut and i would not put a cup in my dishwahser.
The article says pads. For us that would mean lacrosse shoulder pads, knee pads, elbow pads, etc. The only other way to clean them (annually) is to dip and/or soak them in a clorox and water mixture in the huge plastic storage bins outside. If you've ever cleaned them, you'd know the gross filfth that comes off/out of them. That's why MSRA is such a big deal among athletes. The equipment is rarely disinfected properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House