Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,030 times

Advertisements

I just got talked into a new moisture barrier and a dehumidifeir under my house. I think I needed it as it gets damp there a lot living near the water. I was given one of those hot deals for 2000 square feet, and only 24 hours to accept it, so I did a few quotes just to see if it was on the up and up at $3200.
After going thru 5 quotes only one got within a hundred dollars of the quote so I jumped on it....
Its a 12 mil barrier, and a good quality name dehumid machine with pump and warning lite for hi humidity. But looking at some videos and reading some more, I found that the best barrier is to go up the walls and piers about 30" or so. My company cut the barrier even with the walls and did not go up at all. Now I am concerned as that may be the reason for the lowest bid, they were going to short change me. With the other quotes I did not ask if they go up the walls or not.. so I have no idea if the would have or not.
So my question is.. is it pretty normal to go up the wall for a sealed crawl with dehumidifer or just depends. I was not given a choice to pay more to get this... hell I did no even know about it.

Any thoughts here would be greatly apprecitate... however its a nation wide company and I have just read on their web site they they go up the wall and piers... but apparently this branch of the Nation wide company shortchanged me and did not go up the wall....

Course I am not surprised, as the initially planned to go over all the droppings and all before I caught them and told them they better not.. so they did clean it out after grumbling the boss would have to pay them more... I said that is between you and the boss, as I won't pay more since they had said the would clean it out for us. Next I had to show them the huge sign on the pump that says "DO NOT CONNECT THE PUMP" before running the dehumidifer for about half hour to clear our any oil from the compressor, and any condensation that might come out... so they did run it first... First time ever... he said... "You know I never noticed that sign after 10 years." LOL

I am waiting for the next battle when the electrician arrives to install the new outlet for the dehumidifier. I am sure he will try to jack leg by tying into an existing wiring under the house.. but he is going to run all the way to the circuit box with a new circuit breaker whether he likes it or not.... matter of fact I doubt very seriously that code will allow a permanent 6 amp load to be installed without its own circuit... Hell I think in most states the fridge needs it own circuit in case a heater up stairs might kick it of and spoil all your food... any have any thoughts on this also.

The one thing they did right was make sure as much of the piping and cox cable and etc ended up on top of the plastic still accessible.. and they hung up several pieces of insulation that had dropped down... so they weren't all bad.. LOL.

I know I could have gone on the web and purchased the 12 mil for maybe 400 bucks and the dehumid for maybe a thousand... lists at $1295.00 but I am 68 years old and don't do that **** no more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House