Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times

Advertisements

^^^^^Thanks so much. I will ask him if he can use brush or roller at least. I really want the paint to last for more than 10 years. I don't mind spending more now but I don't want to start it all over again in a few years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The price difference is huge, like 400%. However brushing usually involved more/better preparation as well becuase they get their eyes on every inch of the surface and discovery more of the problem areas.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM

One more quick question - 2 coats are included in the coat. How many is common to have - remember color of house is going to be changed. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
2 coats are included in the coat.
Here we go again. A 2 coat application needs to be spelled out. We have clowns here that when they spray from left to right is one coat.....and then they run the gun from right back to left and call it 2 coats. If that's the case, the painter is screwing you. There should be an absolute minimum 8 hours between coats. And so you know, those 2 spray coats are less than 1 brush coat. And again, if he isn't priming the aluminum siding, he's screwing you. The more you post, the more it sounds like this guy is clueless about painting but knows how to sell a crappy job that you're going to have to,live with when it fails.
And again I'll tell you to go the paint makers website, print out the application methodology and make it part of the contract. Anything less and you deserve to be screwed.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Too many variables here now what with aluminum and spraying involved.

What I was going to say:

I've used Behr exclusively the last three times I've painted our house (the first time I let Mrs. NBP gat the paint and she bought the Ace brand. I had to repaint in 3 years). So over the last 22 years I painted the house three times with Behr and once with Ace. The first time with Behr lasted 8 years, the second time was 9 years and we're now on year 5 for the third time. I have to add that I live on the Chesapeake so there are humidity, sand in the wind and salt water issues.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Here we go again. A 2 coat application needs to be spelled out. We have clowns here that when they spray from left to right is one coat.....and then they run the gun from right back to left and call it 2 coats. If that's the case, the painter is screwing you. There should be an absolute minimum 8 hours between coats. And so you know, those 2 spray coats are less than 1 brush coat. And again, if he isn't priming the aluminum siding, he's screwing you. The more you post, the more it sounds like this guy is clueless about painting but knows how to sell a crappy job that you're going to have to,live with when it fails.
And again I'll tell you to go the paint makers website, print out the application methodology and make it part of the contract. Anything less and you deserve to be screwed.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to speak to him and that's why wanted to make sure I talk about these things. About priming the siding - We are going to use BM Aura exterior and that probably does not require any priming first, am I right?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
We did this nine years ago. The only difference is that we stayed with white. We had white aluminum siding that really needed help so we hired two painters. Because we were staying white they recommended 2 coats. So first they came out and power washed the house which took off most of the chalking, etc. Then they did BM primer and BM white paint. They did not spray - they used brushes. We did flat on the house and semi on the trim. I handled shutter and gutter removal and install. I also fixed some spots that had dents and small nail holes from different things over the years. Its been 9 years and it still looks pretty good although I think in another year or two we will paint it again....

Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am going to speak to him and that's why wanted to make sure I talk about these things. About priming the siding - We are going to use BM Aura exterior and that probably does not require any priming first, am I right?
Personally I would probably still prime....

Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Spraying put on very very thin layers of paint. If I was going to have a house sprayed, I woudl probably insist on 7 coats. But that is just me. I like thngs to last for a while. Kind of old fashioned that way.

7 coats meaning spray it, let it dry, spray it, let it dry etc. Not seven swishes of the wand.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
with the whole expense of painting and preperation, would it maybe (?)be more feasible to have the aluminum ripped off and have vinyl siding installed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House