Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times

Advertisements

Recently noticed the floor vinyl sheeting around the back edge of the toilet is stained. I am assuming it is the result of the toilet wax seal leaking. 18 month old house, on a slab. I did tighten the toilet down and I am not against bringing in a plumber to be sure it is sealed properly.

My question is more the vinyl sheet flooring. Can it be patched as in a new piece cut in rather then have to replace it all? Toilet sits in a little alcove. 12in from base of toilet to side walls. Front of toilet sits on seam so it seems this would be the place to cut in the new piece.

I assume the toilet should be removed, old flooring removed, base cleaned, new piece of flooring cut in, and then the toilet replaced. Am I correct in the order?

Any advice, tips?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Sounds like a plan that will work.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Update

Tlaked to the flooring company that originally did the flooring. They want $100 to replace/match/splice in the identical vinyl sheet flooring in the toilet alcove. About 36 x 36 inch or one square yard. They must order 3 sq yards to assure a pattern match as the pattern repeats every 36in. The $100 is material and labor. The splice will be across a grout line (remember vinly sheeting so a faux grout line). They claim no one will be able to see it.

Decided to intall a new high rise (comfort) toilet plus I never did like the way the old one (less then two years old, one step above builder grade) flushed. Bought a Kohler for $180 at Lowes.

Plumber has quoted $150 to install new toilet and dispose of the old toilet. I will remove the old toilet prior to the flooring going down.

I removed the flooring toe molding around the toilet alcove to prepare for the new flooring. Pain in the butt as the painting of the wall/toe molding had about adhesived the toe mold to the wall baseboard. Took about 3 hours. Had to sand and repaint the wall baseboard plus cleanup and repaint the toe molding for later reinstall.

Bottom line is it will end up costing about $430.00 plus some sweat labor to complete this "project".

Now keep in mind I am the liker of new homes. I am two years into this home and I had a one year builder warranty. Could I argue with the builder? Yes I probably could. The problem is the builder is finished in the neighborhood so I have lost that cudgel plus I am an impatient person so I want it off my table now.........LOL

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Finally the project is complete. Ended up costing a bit less then $500 when all was said and done. I took the old toilet out. I took up the toe molding, cleaned it up, and later replaced it. That was the hardest part of the whole project.

The high rise toilet is much more comfortable and the flush mechanism is a vertical plunger arrangement, not the old flapper valve. It seems to flush good. Time will tell but one would expect Kohler to get it right.

Wife wants the same done in spare/guest bath. No vinyl staining issues in there so it should be a no brainer. I think I will get price for Lowes to do it all, including delivery.

Al this is a home less then two years old.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 PM

FYI

Went ahead and did it today. Ordered same toilet for spare bathroom. Delivery, installation, and old toilet removal from Lowes.

Toilet $189 (Kohler Highline). Delivery of $35 versus take it with me. Remove/dispose of old toilet and install new toilet for $100.

Total of $324. Not a bad price.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
As an fyi, just remember on some of those cheaper toilets, the cold water filling and flushing can create a sort of condensation streak that pools at the bottom back of the toilet base. Over time that slight moisture can lay on top of or gets trapped between the sheet layers and discolors the surface. The issue isnt the wax seal (although that can also be it) but a combination of the condensation from the cold water fills, the flushing and even (happened to me) when cleaning the cleaners get into paces that you don;t dry and right after you finish and turn off the light, it dribbles down the back and into the floor.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
As an fyi, just remember on some of those cheaper toilets, the cold water filling and flushing can create a sort of condensation streak that pools at the bottom back of the toilet base. Over time that slight moisture can lay on top of or gets trapped between the sheet layers and discolors the surface. The issue isnt the wax seal (although that can also be it) but a combination of the condensation from the cold water fills, the flushing and even (happened to me) when cleaning the cleaners get into paces that you don;t dry and right after you finish and turn off the light, it dribbles down the back and into the floor.

Interesting and thanks

I will pay attention to the water condensation as I do not want to go through this again. Also both toilets were the same models and the same flooring and only one had the issue so this leads me to believe that was not the issue. The public water in the south is rarely cold water, especially in the summer.....LOL

Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
FYI

Went ahead and did it today. Ordered same toilet for spare bathroom. Delivery, installation, and old toilet removal from Lowes.

Toilet $189 (Kohler Highline). Delivery of $35 versus take it with me. Remove/dispose of old toilet and install new toilet for $100.

Total of $324. Not a bad price.

A company called saying they were the Lowes installer a day after the purchase. We arranged an installation time. They arrived on time. Typical plumbers van. Van had signs on it naming local plumbing company. They stuck a sign in the lawn saying Lowes Installation.

They were in and out within one hour. New toilet in, and they took the old away. Did a great job. Cleaned up after themselves. Lowes called the next day asking if I was satisfied and informing me I had a one year guarantee on the work and if any issues, then call them back.

Remember on the first of the two toilets I had installed, a local recommended plumber charged $150 for installation and removal. I think the $100 installation was a fair price. The $150 installation is pushing it.

I got a card from the company for any further work I might need.

All in all, a good and fair priced experience from Lowes.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I'm too cheap to pay someone to install a toilet. It's easy and only takes 15 minutes. To get rid of the old toilet, I would put it on my curb and put a Curb Alert ad on Craigslist and it would probably be gone in the next hour or so.

Glad you got the problem fixed. Sounds like you are enjoying your new "throne".

Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Florida

I agree but at my age (70), I no longer do the bend over (unless the ball out of the cup) and heavy lifting work even when I well know how to do it. I pay others..........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House