U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM

3,624 posts, read 10,099,821 times
the cost material and labor with a good quality tile will cost 4.00 to 13.00 times
1000 feet. also be aware flooring prep work will add more to the cost. You need to also decide the tile. You may need to pay 10000 or more. However, no prep work, and cheap tile maybe 6000-7000. why not just ask them who does the install, and hire them. I was not aware lawyers could barter, but then, ask who does the install for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM

8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
What are you having installed - tile or stone? I have plenty of experience in this area. The company should have a list of installers they recommend.

Costs vary if stone or tile. Also you want to be certain they don't skimp on materials.

This is good advice. Most reputable stone suppliers will have crews that they throw business to (and generally because they know they do good work). While installing stone floors is a reasonably simple operation (I was kicking myself for not DIY after watching a crew install my slate), it can be botched and it isn't easy (if even possible) to fix a hacked installation. For this reason, I would advise against pulling guys off of a work line or out of the Home Depot parking lot. The crews the company recommends will not be the cheapest labor, but that's really what you're looking for.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't necessarily be looking for the best deal on installation after getting the material comped. I would be looking for the best craftsmen...

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 19,684 times
Use your current friends refferal or look on yellowpages.com this will tell you almost anything, word of mouth is the most important. Feel free to get about 3 estimates and make sure thier lic, bonded and insured, safest way to go.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Big difference between installing a floor and laying sod. Not a good idea to bring people into your house that you "find" at Home Depot or anywhere else.

I agree that most stores that sell the kind of material you are getting should be able to recommend an installer, one with insurance in case something goes wrong during the install. Or, you can check on craigslist. Lots of tile guys looking for work now that new houses are not going up so fast.

My husband installs for anywhere from $2.00 sf and up (you provide all materials), depending on the material and how/where you want it laid.

Many times the compoany you hire uses those same people. It just depoends on waht oyur willi9ng to pay verus waht oyu are will to risk. If you provide the materials then always never pay until the job is done> I'd also be leary of any contractor who wants ful paymaent up front.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM

529 posts, read 1,874,720 times
In our area,(Wake County, N.C.) marble installation goes for about $7.50 - $10.50 per sq. ft.
HOWEVER........
You get what you pay for.
So............
Get references.
Get at least three estimates, measured on-site, that includes all floor prep, transitions, backer board (if any), etc.
Get it in writing.
Get an insurance certificate.

It'd be a shame to flush 1,000 sf of free marble down the tubes by trying to use shabby installers. Then you'd have to buy new marble, pay for the removal of a crappy job, and pay a professional installer to do it right.

The operative word here is " Professional ".

Good Luck!
Streamer1212

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 19,328 times
Spend the money. I have been an installer for 16 years and I have a big problem with the Home depot plan. If you would like your tile to last use a reputable, local installer . Your money will stay in your community and you can feel comfortable that a small businessman will use the proper techniques to give you a long lasting floor or shower. I'm tiered of redoing tile jobs that are only a couple of yeas old.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 6,790,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumtile View Post
Spend the money. I have been an installer for 16 years and I have a big problem with the Home depot plan. If you would like your tile to last use a reputable, local installer . Your money will stay in your community and you can feel comfortable that a small businessman will use the proper techniques to give you a long lasting floor or shower. I'm tiered of redoing tile jobs that are only a couple of yeas old.
X100.

I've installed 3/4" hardwood floors, done stone facades with Eldorado stone, framing, trim work.. all kinds of stuff. I even did small amounts of tile in entryways and on raised hearths. BUT... If I want to add tile, good tile, with a less than straightforward layout, I would hire out a reputable tile-setter to do the job, and preferably a guy with a little salt and pepper on his head.

If you screw up even a little bit on a big job- it's really, really gonna look like crap. I'm going to have tile done in my kitchen in a few years, and I know I best not fool with it.

Now tile the bathroom floors, backsplashes or even the shower area? Yeah- I'll do that. But not a really big area with varying angles, walls etc..

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 18,581 times
ProLogic my foot, you have NO logic, your response is pure racism! I am surprised anyone would host a fool like you.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
Racism?Souhnds to me like he is just hiring cheap laor and the people wanted to do it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,344,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Your coming at this all wrong. I'll walk you step by step into getting this done fast, quick and most important of all, cheaply.

Step 1: Visit your local Home Depot
Step 2: Look for Hispanic males dressed in work clothes dressed in checkered shirts and jeans.
Step 3: Load them into your truck
Step 4: Give them about $350 a pop
Step 5: They leave with a big smile on their face and so do you.

This is exactly what my dad in to get a lawn installed at his duplex. Gave both of them $100 each.
My brother tried this with there expensive tile for there kitchen. They thought it would make it justifiable to have cheap labor install it.

Big mistake. Tile was not even and many things not done professional. They paid them 600.00.

Then had someone come and do it right. That was to tear out all tile and buy new and reinstall. There 1500.00 job turned into over 3000.00.

Be wary out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House