U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,188,756 times
Default Labor Cost Installation Of Tile

Okay, so I'm going to get 1,000 sq. ft. of tile from a marble tile company free in exchange for some legal paperwork. Anyway, I've called around to several flooring companies to find out the cost of installation but they all tell me that I must purchase the flooring from them????

Can anyone tell me what the fair market labor rate is for installation of tile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 8,756,476 times
What are you having installed - tile or stone? I have plenty of experience in this area. The company should have a list of installers they recommend.

Costs vary if stone or tile. Also you want to be certain they don't skimp on materials.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 PM

1,129 posts, read 3,259,531 times
Here in the NOLA area the going rate is about $3 - $7 sf depending...

Old 10-07-2007, 10:58 PM

3,432 posts, read 197,329 times
Your coming at this all wrong. I'll walk you step by step into getting this done fast, quick and most important of all, cheaply.

Step 1: Visit your local Home Depot
Step 2: Look for Hispanic males dressed in work clothes dressed in checkered shirts and jeans.
Step 3: Load them into your truck
Step 4: Give them about $350 a pop
Step 5: They leave with a big smile on their face and so do you.

This is exactly what my dad in to get a lawn installed at his duplex. Gave both of them $100 each.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,286,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Your coming at this all wrong. I'll walk you step by step into getting this done fast, quick and most important of all, cheaply.

Step 2: Look for Hispanic males dressed in work clothes dressed in checkered shirts and jeans.

This is exactly what my dad in to get a lawn installed at his duplex. Gave both of them $100 each.
Big difference between installing a floor and laying sod. Not a good idea to bring people into your house that you "find" at Home Depot or anywhere else.

I agree that most stores that sell the kind of material you are getting should be able to recommend an installer, one with insurance in case something goes wrong during the install. Or, you can check on craigslist. Lots of tile guys looking for work now that new houses are not going up so fast.

My husband installs for anywhere from $2.00 sf and up (you provide all materials), depending on the material and how/where you want it laid.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 434,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Okay, so I'm going to get 1,000 sq. ft. of tile from a marble tile company free in exchange for some legal paperwork. Anyway, I've called around to several flooring companies to find out the cost of installation but they all tell me that I must purchase the flooring from them????

Can anyone tell me what the fair market labor rate is for installation of tile?
Your cost should be $7 to 10 sq ft

Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 AM

10,279 posts, read 10,976,417 times
How handy are you??? LOL..My brother did his small bathroom with travertine and it wasn't hard to do..Are you just laying floor or is there walls involved???

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 434,278 times
Tile costs vary from 4 a sq ft to 10 a sq ft depending on the size of job

Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,565,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post

You know, you are kind of on to something....

A couple weeks ago, we were in Home Depot. My husband was one aisle over, and this guy (non-hispanic, looked more like a Phish phan), kind of whisper-asked if I was looking to do some tiling. I said yes, he asked who was doing it, and I said my husband. The guy nodded, and went back to loading mortar onto his cart The whole thing reminded me of a Phish concert, asking if I needed any "funky nugs" (i.e. kind of like a drug deal) LOL

But, my point is most Lowes/Home Depots have builitin boards near the approriate section where people can leave their business cards. I know there are ones in the plumbing and electrical section, I would bet the flooring area has one too.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 PM

3,387 posts, read 7,865,140 times
Get someone good with references. We are looking at a home and the tile will have to be ripped out and new tile installed because of improper installation....and this is on a nice house - tile originally installed during construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House