Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM

83 posts, read 240,251 times

Advertisements

I have a weil-mclain standing pilot water boiler heat with a Honeywell thermostat. I can't figure out how to turn the thing on.

There is a green light that is on all the time.

I tried to turn the thermostat to the max heat 90 degrees.

I followed the user manual to light up the pilot by turning to the gas control knob to off, wait for 5 minutes then turn on again but the pilot light is not on.

I'm scared to light the pilot using a match as I may blow up something.

I have attached a few photos. Please help. :yes::thumbup:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Call your HVAC company. They'll turn it on for you. Since it should have a yearly maintenance visit anyway, you won't be wasting money.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
You probably got a dirty pilot light....that is pretty common. Is the main gas-valve shutoff leading to the heater in line with the pipe....that means it is on!

What a ghastly looking contraption!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Call your HVAC company. They'll turn it on for you. Since it should have a yearly maintenance visit anyway, you won't be wasting money.
Do you mean call Weil-McLain? I think this gas-fired boiler is old and out of warranty. Will they still come and turn it on for free?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You probably got a dirty pilot light....that is pretty common. Is the main gas-valve shutoff leading to the heater in line with the pipe....that means it is on!

What a ghastly looking contraption!
I'm not sure. I don't know much about HVAC. I have more photos if that helps you answer your question.

it's the CGA

Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityChiCity View Post
Do you mean call Weil-McLain? I think this gas-fired boiler is old and out of warranty. Will they still come and turn it on for free?

Call your local Fire Department. Our department used to offer the service for free to the elderly and other qualified groups. It was really cheap even if you were charged. Of course with the current budget crunches in municipalities it may have changed. I am all electric in my apartment.

GL2

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
Chicity,
You have to call a heating company out of the local paper.
They will charge you and come out and clean your boiler for you.
Every year you must do this.
You also have to drain the radiators. you will have a key to do this.
If you don't know how to, (it's really easy), ask the heating guy when
he comes to clean your system.
YOU MUST CALL a heating company.
It is the price of home ownership.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
PLEASE be safe and get an HVAC company to do a check on this. You could die of carbon monoxide poisoning! No you don't call the manufacturer. You establish a relationship with a service company that sells, installs, inspects, and repairs furnaces.

Do you own this house? Did you have the furnace inspected before you bought it? Perhaps your home inspector could recommend a qualified company. In any case, you need to learn how to take care of this contraption properly. If you rent, you should call your landlord. It's really not a good idea to expect people on a message board to diagnose a potentially dangerous machinery issue via snapshots. And really ... it's THAT cold in Chicago on September 24? If so, you better get in line for an appointment.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Any heating and airconditioning company will service your boiler. It won't be free. But like I said, your boiler should have annual maintenance visit anyway.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
you need to learn how to take care of this contraption properly.
"This contraption" made me laugh. I have a boiler. Contraption is the perfect definition for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And really ... it's THAT cold in Chicago on September 24? If so, you better get in line for an appointment.
It's not cold enough that sweat pants, a good pair of socks and a sweater wouldn't solve. It's colder here than there. I just looked it up. The low in Chicago is 55 or 59. Our low was in the 30s last night. It will be 40 tonight. We haven't turned on our heat. I just put on sweats. Why? Anytime I complain about being cold, hubby says, "Put on some clothes!" because I'm usually standing there in bare feet and shorts when I say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House