U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,302,462 times

Advertisements

My daughter just rented an apartment, everything is brand new, but she has been seeing a lot of centipedes. She is going to tell the landlord that she needs an exterminator, but my big question is...will they get into her food in the cabinets? So far she has only seen them on the floor, but I don't know if they will eat their way into cardboard boxes.
Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:02 PM

868 posts, read 1,610,261 times
I don't know if they will get into cabinets but I am in Atlanta and bought a home that was empty for quite a few months...initially I saw at least one a day...now 2 months in...I have not seen one in about 2 weeks but I always saw them on the floor and I just smacked them...hope to get more answers from others.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:29 PM

4,052 posts, read 13,207,284 times
Maybe you have something else...

"The house centipede (Scutigera coleoptrata) is a fast-moving carnivore that feeds on insects such as cockroaches, house flies, and other small house pests, and is thus harmless to humans, but its alarming appearance and painful bite often results in its extermination from residences. The bite of a smaller centipede in temperate areas may be similar to a bee sting, but the bite of a larger tropical species is excruciatingly painful, leaving two black puncture wounds about a centimeter apart."

"Keep your house dry. Centipedes dry out and die if they don’t stay in a moist environment, so if you clean up damp closets and basements, and use dehumidifiers, centipedes will find a more hospitable place to live."

Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,630,438 times
Yes.. if its a house centipede (there are some great pictures on the web) - its a good thing and will try to scurry out of her way and eat other pests.

If its a big ugly poisonous centipede (saw them occasionally in New Mexico, in my apartment). Kill them. They are horrible!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
I've always wanted to try to trip a centipede ...

They eat other bugs, so I doubt if they'll get into food. Outdoors, they live under things, so have your daughter tell the landlord to check any wood piles close to the house, or any nearby trees.

Careful when you smoosh 'em. They explode. Centipede guts everywhere. Ewww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House