Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,357,826 times

Advertisements

Barring compressors, most of the other part are indeed the same. Controls are controls, as are safeties. Climatuff compressors are made slightly different than Copeland's. Other compressor brands are Tecumseh and Carlyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,506 times
Crap. I'm getting Goodman installed tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 09-25-2009, 06:20 PM

5,640 posts, read 5,056,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookt View Post
Crap. I'm getting Goodman installed tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
And I'm getting mine de-installed next week! A Carrier hybrid system will be taking it's place.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And I'm getting mine de-installed next week! A Carrier hybrid system will be taking it's place.
Is it being done by the same company that installed the goodman?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
Basically i know alot of people that ahve bopguth goodamn and most have had constant problems. It like buying a car ;there are better prodcuts and relaiblity that go beyond the fact that it operates the same. Goodman most frequehnt problem I have seen is leaks from the factory in the unit itself.Also compressor goig out shortly afer bouyght besdies switches. If their is no difference then why have so many models within the same line promote as doifferences in quality. Goodman and coleman just have hiugh failure rate whether parts or build qaulity and they are made nearby.I suggest asking a known air condition person that has been around for years as its much like the difference between many prodcuts that are bascially the same IMO.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Goodman is widely used in mass building projects where rules of thumb are used and $8/hr employees are the installers. The builder makes off with tons of money and the home owners is none the wiser. The standards Goodman passes and the parts they use are used all throughout the industry in the "lowest" to "highest" quality equipment. Compressors don't fail, they're killed.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Copeland Corporation, part of Emerson Climate Technologies, is the world’s leading compressor manufacturer, offering more than 10,000 compressor models in a full range of technologies, including scroll, reciprocation and screw compressor designs. A pioneer in the HVAC/R industry, the company led the introduction of scroll technology to the marketplace. Today, more than 18 million Copeland Scroll™ compressors are installed in residential and commercial air conditioning and commercial refrigeration systems around the world. Copeland is headquartered in Sidney, Ohio. Emerson Climate Technologies is a business group of Emerson.[/SIZE]

Before Copeland Goodman used Bristol which was considered not as good a quality as is being used today. Carrier had some pretty substantial recalls themselves:

Quote:
An estimated three million or more consumers in the U.S. and Canada purchased the furnaces covered under the settlement. Plaintiffs valued the settlement to consumers at over $300 million based upon the combined value of the cash reimbursement and the estimated cost of an enhanced warranty of this nature.
Carrier | Bryant Condensing Furnace Consumer Protection Class Action (http://www.lieffcabraser.com/furnace.htm - broken link)

Carrier being the largest mfg.... It's actually under the name United Technologies Corporation..

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 AM

5,640 posts, read 5,056,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Is it being done by the same company that installed the goodman?
No, I dismissed the idea of having the builder's HVAC company do any more work. I know while they installed what they were contracted to, I saw many neighbors having problems also and have no confidence in their work. A "bad" system installed by competent workers will work better than a "good" system installed by incompetent workers, although neither is a preferred solution. In my case, it was a "bad" system (Goodman builder grade) installed by a bunch of stooges! I replaced the upstairs heat pump after getting quotes from a number of companies and checking references carefully. Bottom line price was not the deciding factor alone. I have no faith in the remaining Goodman furnace/AC system and figure it's not a case of "if" it will break but "when". Since I'd likely replace rather than repair, I figure it's better to do it on my schedule and do it right rather than do it rushed. I'll pay either way and right now can take advantage of the tax break ($1500) and a current Carrier rebate ($1100).

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
Has anyone had a problem with the Goodman ac/heating unit leaking? Mine has leaked twice -- and ruined my hardwood floors...

Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,388 times
I had a duel system installed in late April. About a month later the upstairs unit quit cooling. The technition couldn't find any leaks, but the unit was out of freon. On September 24th. the downstairs unit quit and burned up the compressor. I have been waiting since the 26th for the compressor to come in. The company also wanted an emergency service fee of $150 to come out on Saturday the 24th. I told him no way and that Monday they could talk to my lawyer. He came out saying he didn't want an unhappy customer, but I'm beginning to think they are jerking me around because of what I said about the lawyer.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,349 times
I have a 2 1/4 year old home with a air/heat outside self contained-- the "coil" started leaking and even though the part was under warranty the repair cost over $900 for labor and "freon", and shippng the part!!!! My repairman told me that they had had numerous calls on leaking coils this year all on newer units-i am pursuing every way i can to try to recoup money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House