U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,213,380 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that someone can help me. We live in a manufactured home in Oregon. We want to install a wood stove that requires a pad with the R-value of 2. It's an Englander 13-NCMH. I have looked at different materials that we can pile up to make R-value, but it seems that it might get a little heavy?? Anyway, we're also looking at some pre-made hearth pads. They have a K=.84, 48"x48" and 3/4" thick. Is this equal to R-2?? I just don't get how to do the conversions.
I would be grateful for any help.
Thanks, Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM

482 posts, read 520,841 times
How to Figure the R-Value for Hearth Pads | Home Guides | SF Gate

based on the "Using Calculations" section of the page above, your R-value for that pad would be: 0.89

Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM

568 posts, read 748,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I'm hoping that someone can help me. We live in a manufactured home in Oregon. We want to install a wood stove that requires a pad with the R-value of 2. It's an Englander 13-NCMH. I have looked at different materials that we can pile up to make R-value, but it seems that it might get a little heavy?? Anyway, we're also looking at some pre-made hearth pads. They have a K=.84, 48"x48" and 3/4" thick. Is this equal to R-2?? I just don't get how to do the conversions.
I would be grateful for any help.
Thanks, Kate
We installed this exact stove a few months ago and built the hearth ourselves. It is on a hardwood floor above a basement so we didn't want anything to heavy. To get away from about 6 layers of durock (heavy) we used the following.

2 layers of Micore mineral fiber board at 1.03 r value each. That alone will meet the requirement but it is a soft material and we didn't want the grout to crack from the weight of the stove. So we added a layer of durock then layed slate. Micore is VERY hard to find..I ended up ordering it online for $100. Start to finish it cost around $150 and is beautiful.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the link, Scott.
@ pajamamama. I couldn't find the Micore, either. So, you have two layers of Micore, durock and then slate? How did you trim out the sides?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Thanks for the link, Scott.
@ pajamamama. I couldn't find the Micore, either. So, you have two layers of Micore, durock and then slate? How did you trim out the sides?
Well..when I get off my lazy butt I'm going to trim it with slate. I will post a pic of what it looks like now just so you get an idea. Give me a few to post it. We were originally going to use a wood trim stained gray but decided against it. So if you do go this route mortar the trim tiles first and start slate at the top over them. Ours will look okay when done but would look better to have the top tiles come out flush with the trim.

Realized it's not the same model..we originally bought that one from Home Depot but exchanged it for a 12-Fpl. Regardless..the r requirement was the same.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Attached Thumbnails
R-value vs. K=factor  Hearth pads-dscn0864.jpg  

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM

That looks nice. That's about what we had in mind. So, just trim it in slate, right?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Why did you change your mind on the Englander?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM

The 13 Model Englander had a greater clearance requirement. I think it was 15 in. We didn't have the room for it to stick out that far after adding the 18in in front since it's a corner install. The 12 model has only a 5 in requirement. It is a smaller stove but it's supplemental heat so still worked for us.

We just didn't think the dark trim would look as good as it all being slate. Seeing the pic..what do you think?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM

I think that the wood trim might look okay if it was painted to blend in with the slate. I don't like the "wood" look trim, personally. But, I think it might be easier for us to trim it in painted wood than to do slate.
I think you did a great job. Hope ours turns out OK. Do you remember where you got the Micore online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House