Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times

Advertisements

...have him replace all the bedroom doors! I sorta mean it -- that way you won't be drawing attention to the smallest room.

It could be really classy. Of course if he asks who gave you the idea for all this extra work it wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I already knew about that stuff. It isn't a problem. Hubby can do it.

I'm not too concerned about cost. I like pocket doors. I was wondering if other people liked them too, especially future homebuyers.

LMAO! So, you'd rather I put the pocket doors on one of the other bedrooms instead? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'd do the pocket doors and do them right (better hardware, etc)

If you plan to be in this house for YEARS to come...do what you need to do for YOU. As long as you're not destroying the overall market appeal....let resale take care of itself, when the time comes.

I looked into pocket doors when I had a wall knocked out....
You'll need to either build a double wall in front of the current walls to slide the doors into, (and even deeper space if you want the door to be able to slide past and outlets you still want on that wall)....OR if you have walls thick enough already....make sure there's no wiring or plumbing in the current wall. (and you'll need the right header over the door, since you'll be taking out studs.

I say go for it.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
The dogs were in the laundry room once and had an 'oh no we are TRAPPED' moment and shredded the slider, so now it hangs and won't close etc.
That's hardly the fault of the door, its composition, its location, or its hardware.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Accufitgolf & Fallingwater: Which of your rooms have pocket doors?

Master bedroom to master bath has a pocket door. Master bath to walkin closet has a pocket door. Single width and installed when house was built, two years ago. Love them. Very space saving.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:04 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Accufitgolf & Fallingwater: Do those walls have any electrical or plumbing in them? Is so how was that accommodated?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Accufitgolf & Fallingwater: Do those walls have any electrical or plumbing in them? Is so how was that accommodated?
My house (with two pocket doors) was a new build.

Having seen the frames when installed, I assume an existing wall would have to opened up, studs removed, be header braced, then the pocket door frame installed, trim installed (door side where it slides out from), then the wall refinished (sheet rock, paint, etc.). It might also require a new door frame.

I know the framer did stud the walls where the pocket doors were going and the door installer had to modify the two walls. I did not catch it but I showed up one day when a guy was cutting studs down. I asked what he was doing. He said he was installing the pocket door frames.

I would also say the wall where it is to be installed would have to be utility free (electric, water, etc) or the utilities moved from the width of the door back from the door frame edge the side the door will operate from. Moving electric will be simple enough. Moving water more difficult.

Adding new pocket doors to existing construction will require quite a bit of rework.

Go to a big box and look at a pocket door. It will give you a good idea what will have to be done to install it. I suppose there are pics and instruction online.

It is not as simple as removing a door frame and sliding the pocket door in..........LOL

Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Go to a big box and look at a pocket door. It will give you a good idea what will have to be done to install it. I suppose there are pics and instruction online.
Don't forget about your local lumber yard or building supplier. You may not be able to get your frozen pizzas or your laundry detergent there, but you can very likely get some good answers and advice there. Remember that most of them have been around supporting your community much longer than the big box place, but they can't continue if you just go in to by a 2x4 because you were one short when you got the rest of the project at the BB place and you don't want to drive back.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Accufitgolf & Fallingwater: Which of your rooms have pocket doors?
A half bath, our master bath and my office. The house was built in the 90's and the pocket doors must have been an option with the builder because a neighbor has the same house design and he immediately commented on how awesome our pocket door was on our half bath (he doesnt have one). The front door and half bath are close so if the half bath had a regular door and it was left open, it would be in the way of the front door (hope that makes sense). Anyway, that works out nice.

Our master bath has a pocket door and again, its a space saver. I wish the owners would have done a pocket door on our master bedroom closet too because the way the door swings open, it kind of gets in the way sometimes. The hardware must be quality because the doors open and close with ease. The only issue I had was when I changed out all the door knobs in the house from brass to ORB, the pocket door hardware was a bit tricky to change out. I bought a new pull and it was slightly thicker than the old brass one. I didnt notice the very slight variation, So after I swapped them out and pushed the door closed it banged and didn't fit back into the pocket as well as the old pull. After we worked it out I found one by Stanley at Lowe's that was the exact same thickness as old brass pulls. So far that has only been my issue. Oh or when people come to visit and say, "oh my god there is no door on this bathroom?" I have to show them its a pocket door. lol

Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No there is nothing in that section of the walls.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
They suck if you can look past how convenient they are until they crap out on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House