U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 46,899 times
Default Can you use household bleach instead of expensive chlorine for pool?

I have a below-ground 14,000 gallon saltwater pool and I've just started maintaining the chemicals, which I'm finding can be quite expensive. Every so often, I find that I need to 'shock' the pool. I've heard some people suggest that instead of using chlorine powder or tablets to do this, you can get the same results using chlorine bleach (that is, regular household bleach, but without any extra additives).

Has anyone been using regular liquid bleach to shock your pool? Any caveats? It seems like household beach is a lot less expensive than the chlorine buckets you get at the pool store.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

188 posts, read 147,154 times
Big difference in strength... cheaper to use chlorine.

Bleach Vs. Chlorine in a Pool | eHow.com

http://www.americaspoolservice.com/C...ool-Geeks-Only)

Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 46,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM

2,900 posts, read 3,343,127 times
The biggest caveat with liquid bleach *and* liquid pool chlorine is to watch the strength - the chlorine leaves the bottle quickly in warm areas.

In the food-service industry a liquid 10% chlorine solution is used for sanitizing dishes - old jugs frequently have half-or-less the starting concentration. Also, beware of dollar-store bleach - that is frequently super-weak - sometimes 1% or less.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,839,793 times
If you are buying your chlorine from the grocery store in one gallon just you are getting ripped off. It's way over priced. Go to a pool store. I go to Pinch a Penny and get my 2.5 Gallon jugs refilled from under $5 each. I have a 14,000 gallon pool and pour about half a jug into it every week to shock it. So my cost for liquid chlorine is around $2.50......

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM

27,042 posts, read 19,073,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslady85 View Post
I have a below-ground 14,000 gallon saltwater pool and I've just started maintaining the chemicals, which I'm finding can be quite expensive. Every so often, I find that I need to 'shock' the pool. I've heard some people suggest that instead of using chlorine powder or tablets to do this, you can get the same results using chlorine bleach (that is, regular household bleach, but without any extra additives).

Has anyone been using regular liquid bleach to shock your pool? Any caveats? It seems like household beach is a lot less expensive than the chlorine buckets you get at the pool store.
Bleach from the store is the same byproduct that your saltwater generator produces and it's called sodium-hypochlorite.

You can do many things to "shock" your pool but I wouldn't suggest going to the store to buy liquid bleach since you've got a generator that will do the exact same thing for much cheaper and without the middle men. Besides liquid bleach from the store has about a 6% concentration level and the other "inactive" ingredient is water so you're basically paying for 94% water and 6% sodium-hypo.

First I need to know what readings you're getting for:

Free Chlorine
Total Chlorine
Combined Chlorine
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cynuric Acid Levels
Salt Levels
Water Temperatures

Are you using the test strips? If so, dump them and get a Taylor Kit, it's much easier and way more accurate.

Shocking is the easiest and most expensive way to super-chlorinate your pool. Most people just throw a bunch in and voila, it's clear but above the super-chlorination point you're just wasting money and chemicals.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
zJust set your salt system to "superchlorinate" for a couple of days. You might have to add some salt, but usually not.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 PM

27,042 posts, read 19,073,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
zJust set your salt system to "superchlorinate" for a couple of days. You might have to add some salt, but usually not.
Lol, or do that.

Good call if the OP has that option. We have a very expensive SWG and we don't have that option but we don't really need it because it super chlorinates the water as it passes through the multiple cells. If my CC ever shows a 1 or above I just turn the SWG to 100% for a day and add about a gallon of hydrochloric acid. My pool is about 33,500 gallons though.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 PM

188 posts, read 147,154 times
Good catch...I have to read more carefully. Very seldom should you add chlorine to salt pools. Unless of course your cell needs cleaning or replacement. A good sign it needs cleaning or replacement is having to shock or add chlorine.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM

5,011 posts, read 3,192,570 times
This is a fabulous website, which will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about pool maintenance and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House