U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 AM

1,052 posts, read 960,208 times

Advertisements

I had a slightly leaky pipe under my sink. I used a product called Magic Wrap to seal it. Magic Wrap is a non-adhesive rubber tape which tightly bonds to the pipe when stretched around it. This product seemed to do the trick, but should I be concerned with corrosion, since moisture is trapped underneath the tape?

Edit: Title should read, Magic Wrap, not Magic Tape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 AM

21,589 posts, read 23,714,857 times
I don't think so
Water Activated Pipe Wrap - Repair Kit
Magic Wrap®
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
Why not just fix it the right way first and not rely on a "temporary repair"?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 PM

13,046 posts, read 14,640,744 times
Any use of tape and such is a temporary measure that can last a few hours or even days, but you still need to take care of the pipe. I am assuming that it's a drain pipe you repaired (?). If the pipe is in good condition, it's possible that one of the threaded joints by the trap or somewhere else is loose, but if any portion of the drain line has rusted through, you need to replace it.

I just replace the entire drain line from the connection under the sink to the wall. The parts should cost around $30.00 at most stores in town, and you can go with plastic or metal.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM

11,748 posts, read 27,321,510 times
I've used the stuff on connections between black poly pipe and PVC, where the hose clamp just wasn't completely doing the job. In such a case, it is a permanent repair. On a metal pipe that is corroded through enough to need the tape, that corrosion will continue and the pipe need replacing soon.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,226,129 times
The issue I see is most leaks I have experienced are at a coupling, joint, etc. They are rarely (as in never) in a straight pipe run as those products show.

In a straight pipe run, a piece of rubber and a hose clamp would work....been there....done that....and it worked just fine.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 PM

13,046 posts, read 14,640,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've used the stuff on connections between black poly pipe and PVC, where the hose clamp just wasn't completely doing the job. In such a case, it is a permanent repair. On a metal pipe that is corroded through enough to need the tape, that corrosion will continue and the pipe need replacing soon.
If the pipe is corroded through or has a hole, no tape found in our universe can be a permanent repair. What tape allows you to do is to create a temporary repair, just like you can do with the muffler pipes of your car on the road, except that in this case you have to use another type of tape. Joins loosen-up and leak, and these can be repaired by either replacing the seal (s) or re-tightening. But any leak on a pipe means that there is a crack or hole on it. In this case a permanent repair is done by replacing the pipe, or by installing a pressure clamp designed for this purpose. But if the pipe is corroded in the inside area, not even a clamp will work.

I used a similar tape for military aircraft repair for years to repair wire bundles during emergencies, and then fly the aircraft to another location where we could repair it properly. Back in the Vietnam years we called this type of tape "F-4 tape," and I imagine that these days it comes with all types of names and colors straight from China.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-29-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I had a slightly leaky pipe under my sink. I used a product called Magic Wrap to seal it. Magic Wrap is a non-adhesive rubber tape which tightly bonds to the pipe when stretched around it. This product seemed to do the trick, but should I be concerned with corrosion, since moisture is trapped underneath the tape?

Edit: Title should read, Magic Wrap, not Magic Tape
It would help if you said what kind of pipe (water supply, cold or hot, or drain) and the material the pipe is made out of.

I would be reluctant to trust this sort of product to keep the pipe from leaking over a period of years.

Probably replacing the pipe is the best way to do the repair, it's not rocket science. Although part of rocket science definitely involves pipes that don't leak.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 AM

1,052 posts, read 960,208 times
Thanks for the replies, all. A buddy is going to help me replace the pipe because I'm not good with wrenches.. lol. The Magic Wrap has been holding tight for 3 weeks now. No water dropping at all. The guy who suggested this product has had it on his pipes for a year with no problems. But his pipes are plastic, and mine are metal.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 PM

244 posts, read 166,928 times
its just easier to do it the right way to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House