Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times

Advertisements

My girlfriends family have been without power due to recent storm. The just got a generator today and a family member installed it. I am a little concerned about how they hooked it up though.

Due to timing, they did not have it professionally done, nor do they have a transfer switch. They hooked it up to the outside breaker for the a/c condenser. Cord from generator: Red to one breaker switch, black to the other, but they tied neutral and ground together on a bar.

The main power switch was made certain to be OPEN or OFF at the main breaker box to prevent back feed. However, not all lights or outlets work. I believe this has to do with how they have the neutral and ground wire tied together.

What are the dangers of this if any?

If this isnt going to be wired with a transfer switch or at the very least at the main breaker box itself where the neutral can be tied to the neutral bus bar, I take it then they have to expect that not all circuits will work properly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Bonding neutral and ground together shouldnt matter as far as your circuits.

Its not good practice depending where in the circuit its done.

Why? Because a neutral is an every day current carrying conductor.

A ground is for fault currents and safety and not for every day use as a current carrying conductor. .

grounding the neutral at the panel is okay . but doing it at the end of your circuit is not okay. then that little bond wire in the romex or the armor of the bx becomes current carrying all the time.

many times a rubber cord with 4 equal size conductors is used. in that case its not a big deal if you bond the neutral to ground at the generator since they are all rated as full time current carrying conductors anyway.

more important though is back feeding a generator is not legal as well as dangerous.

If that main breaker or switch is accidently left on you can kill a utility worker.

matty j
united electric power.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-02-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
My girlfriends family have been without power due to recent storm. The just got a generator today and a family member installed it. I am a little concerned about how they hooked it up though.

Due to timing, they did not have it professionally done, nor do they have a transfer switch. They hooked it up to the outside breaker for the a/c condenser. Cord from generator: Red to one breaker switch, black to the other, but they tied neutral and ground together on a bar.

The main power switch was made certain to be OPEN or OFF at the main breaker box to prevent back feed. However, not all lights or outlets work. I believe this has to do with how they have the neutral and ground wire tied together.

What are the dangers of this if any?

If this isnt going to be wired with a transfer switch or at the very least at the main breaker box itself where the neutral can be tied to the neutral bus bar, I take it then they have to expect that not all circuits will work properly...
They may find their home insurance to be worthless since a Pro electrician didn't install it or sign off that it is ok.

Desperate people do desperate , sometimes stupid, things at a time when it can harm them the most.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
They may find their home insurance to be worthless since a Pro electrician didn't install it or sign off that it is ok.
I am certainly going to pass on that its not legal and if something were to occur while this is set up, theyd be pretty much screwed. I was hoping to press them more to change it by certain dangers but perhaps its pretty much safe, just not legal. And certainly explains why not all outlets are working in the house.

Im going to press them on making sure to get a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician once they get their power back.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

Desperate people do desperate , sometimes stupid, things at a time when it can harm them the most.
unless your policy forbids you doing work , which they dont ,anyone can do work on their home and while legally your locality may require a license the insurance company must cover you.. they can cancel you but they must pay you unless they can prove it was intentional.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I am certainly going to pass on that its not legal and if something were to occur while this is set up, theyd be pretty much screwed. I was hoping to press them more to change it by certain dangers but perhaps its pretty much safe, just not legal. And certainly explains why not all outlets are working in the house.

Im going to press them on making sure to get a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician once they get their power back.
Please do press!! You could wind up saving not only their home but their lives as well.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unless your policy forbids you doing work , which they dont ,anyone can do work on their home and while legally your locality may require a license the insurance company must cover you.. they can cancel you but they must pay you unless they can prove it was intentional.
Your insurance company lawyers will slap you with a law suit for negligence at the first sign of trouble.

Believe it or not.........

Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Actually i would bet you cant find one instance of an insurance company actually refusing to cover unlicensed work.

Fire is a peril specifically covered unless it was intentionally set.

I also thought they could keep from paying you but i now learned they can not.

There is a distinction between you doing the work though and having someone else doing the work that may open up a can of worms but i have yet to find a case of an insurance company denying coverage since their policies have no such restriction.

Having work performed by an authorized person is a locality rule and can in fact change from state to state or even town to town.

Your policy states no where they wont pay if the work wasnt done by the authorized person or even on negligence. Only thing in your insurance contract is it
Says it wont pay if an intentional act.

In fact liability insurance covers us when we are found negligent and responsible for the act and sued by others.

You will see contractors post warnings about you doing the work yourself and the fact insurance companies wont pay but it looks like more myth than fact.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-02-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM

I just want add the big risk of unlicensed work is you assume the liability if anyone gets hurt.

Courts have ruled homeowners are not responsible for injuries caused when something goes wrong with licensed work

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually i would bet you cant find one instance of an insurance company actually refusing to cover unlicensed work.

Fire is a peril specifically covered unless it was intentionally set.
insurance companies will challenge claims that are negligent. Home dofer work that goes bad is negligent work.

Now lets be clear on what the word "negligent" means........
failing to exercise the care expected of a reasonably prudent person in like circumstances

marked by a carelessly easy manner

Negligent - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House