U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,360 posts, read 1,224,564 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

We are installing a wood stove in a Manufactured Home....older home about 1986. The chimney kits from Duravent offer 11" chimney support boxes in the Basic Kit, and 24" support boxes in the MH kits #9086. Does anyone know why? We are trying to figure out if we can get a better deal by piecing it out or buying the kit.
Thanks, Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
 
3,735 posts, read 3,214,254 times
Reputation: 5725
FYI - First be sure your insurance company will cover this. If they do, they will want to come out and inspect the installation, see that a building permit was applied for and the work inspected/passed. And they will want to take pictures.

They want to see that everything was installed to the wood stove and chimney manufacturer's instructions/specifications. That the wood stove is the specified distance from the walls, etc.

And if applicable, that everything is approved for installation in a manufactured home?

Basically the insurance company wants to make darn sure the installation will not cause a fire (or a claim). THEN they will cover you. Also they will probably charge a bit more on the policy.

If you don't get it inspected and so forth, then the insurance company does not have to pay for any fire damage caused by the woodstove or chimney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM
 
388 posts, read 488,028 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
FYI - First be sure your insurance company will cover this. If they do, they will want to come out and inspect the installation, see that a building permit was applied for and the work inspected/passed. And they will want to take pictures.

They want to see that everything was installed to the wood stove and chimney manufacturer's instructions/specifications. That the wood stove is the specified distance from the walls, etc.

And if applicable, that everything is approved for installation in a manufactured home?

Basically the insurance company wants to make darn sure the installation will not cause a fire (or a claim). THEN they will cover you. Also they will probably charge a bit more on the policy.

If you don't get it inspected and so forth, then the insurance company does not have to pay for any fire damage caused by the woodstove or chimney.
Excellent advice.....manufactured homes, especially older one's burn like a match....be careful !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,360 posts, read 1,224,564 times
Reputation: 962
I called my insurance company first. I don't want to screw that up. They didn't say anything about coming out, just for us to make sure it's installed according to the manufacturer's specs. It will cost an additional $25 per year.

We went to the county office and they said they also go by man. specs.

We are making the pad with an R-value of 2, which to some, seems excessive, but that's what they call for.
I just wonder why the kit for the MH has a 24" chimney support box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
11,781 posts, read 27,479,564 times
Reputation: 14641
MH roofs are typically framed 24" OC. A larger box will not only give better support, but be cooler. Don't skimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,360 posts, read 1,224,564 times
Reputation: 962
OC?? over ceiling?
So, the entire space between the ceiling and the roof should have the support box?
We're also using triple wall pipe above and at least 18" below ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
11,781 posts, read 27,479,564 times
Reputation: 14641
OC = on center. The measured distance between rafters is 24", measured from the center of one rafter to the center of the next. Commonly, rafters are either 24" OC or 16" OC, but there are other spacing distances as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
 
Location: The Triad (nc)
17,720 posts, read 24,057,602 times
Reputation: 14933
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We are installing a wood stove in a Manufactured Home....older home about 1986.
Find some OTHER way to heat this old thing.
Even the electric space heater scheme you asked about is a better idea than this one.

Oh I know! Fix or replace the stock factory design heater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
 
Location: The Woods
14,427 posts, read 13,762,825 times
Reputation: 6072
Go with the 24 inch box. You want as much cooling space between that chimney and your tinderbox mobile home as possible. If you ever have a chimney fire, you'll be glad to have some extra space to protect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,360 posts, read 1,224,564 times
Reputation: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Find some OTHER way to heat this old thing.
Even the electric space heater scheme you asked about is a better idea than this one.

Oh I know! Fix or replace the stock factory design heater.
"This old thing" is our home. It's actually in really good shape. The space heater question was for an old 1966 single wide Detroiter that we use as a guest house.
Lots of folks put wood stoves in their Manufactured homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top