U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM

317 posts, read 615,832 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interested in adding heat to my 775 square foot, attached (built in), 3 car garage. Would like to spend time in there in winter and not be cold.

Climate is West Coast (ignore the Orlando, FL bit about me) and not bad in the winter.

Wood stove is out due to energy code. Can do natural gas or electric.

Leaning toward a 2 ton or 3 ton ductless heat pump (mini split). Has anyone owned one of these and what was the cost to install?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM

6,773 posts, read 21,441,188 times
If your just wanting to add heat- you certainly don't need a mini-split, which is basically a heat pump.
Here's the most favorable heaters for garages-
Car Guy Garage: Garage Heaters

NG heaters are probably the most widely used-
Pros- usually the least expensive fuel, reasonable equipment and install cost
Cons- carbon monoxide and high humidity.

Electric heaters-
Pros- cheap initial cost
Cons- high fuel cost

NG tube heaters-
Pros- same as gas heater above, better heat coverage, little carbon monoxide because of external venting
Cons- equipment cost is somewhat more than a regular ceiling mount heater and requires more ceiling area to operate.

I myself use two quartz inferred heaters, they were inexpensive, and install was a matter of hanging from ceiling and plugging in.
The con- electric
But I don't run them constantly. Just take the chill out of the air, turn them off until the chill starts to come back.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,077,239 times
If near the main electrical panel then consider 220V baseboard heaters. Not my profession, but just a thought.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times
I just use a torpedo heater (Kerosene) in the garage. It smells a bit, but keeps things plenty warm.

My older brother's sage advice to me:

"The secret to a successful marriage is a heated garage"

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,266,005 times
This is what I use with a thermostat and a on off switch.
they come in natural gas or the installer can convert it.
it's simple and very cheep to convert them.

I don't like the kerosine torpedo heaters, they stink and spew out there exhaust into the work area and they have to have room on the floor for them.

Propane Gas 75K BTU Convection Garage Heater

Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
This is what I use with a thermostat and a on off switch.
they come in natural gas or the installer can convert it.
it's simple and very cheep to convert them.

I don't like the kerosine torpedo heaters, they stink and spew out there exhaust into the work area and they have to have room on the floor for them.

Propane Gas 75K BTU Convection Garage Heater
Yes, but it cost $40 and installation is $0. Can I get one of those big things installed for $40? Plus I think my torpedo heater is 100K BTu, I will have to go look at it to make sure.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM

13,001 posts, read 14,300,617 times
I would go with natural gas, and a heater such as the one K'ledgeBldr posted, which is similar the one Snofarmer posted a photo of. If I were going to use kerosene, then I would install a direct vent Toyo "laser" stove. This one is around 87% efficient, and very popular in the interior of Alaska, although people here use heating fuel instead of kerosene. Kerosene is extremely expensive over here.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM

1,264 posts, read 535,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My older brother's sage advice to me:

"The secret to a successful marriage is a heated garage"
truer words were never said

Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM

3,226 posts, read 2,973,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, but it cost $40 and installation is $0. Can I get one of those big things installed for $40? Plus I think my torpedo heater is 100K BTu, I will have to go look at it to make sure.
One of the issues with kerosene torpedo heaters is that they raise the humidity in the garage dramatically... (Just like putting a car covered in snow in the garage) Putting a $40 heater in that causes $20K of tools to rust is false economy. (rebuilding a Hardinge rusting lathe is no small feat, and for the cost you could buy a pile of torpedo heaters).

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
One of the issues with kerosene torpedo heaters is that they raise the humidity in the garage dramatically... (Just like putting a car covered in snow in the garage) Putting a $40 heater in that causes $20K of tools to rust is false economy. (rebuilding a Hardinge rusting lathe is no small feat, and for the cost you could buy a pile of torpedo heaters).
They add some humidity, but very little. Given how dry the air is in winter, they really only bring it up to normal levels. If your equipment is that fragile, you would need a dehumidifier during the summer to protect it. The pool heater creates a huge amount of humidity when it runs (it is NG), but is is 180,000 BTU. NG seems to produce more water than kerosene does. The pool heater leaves water dripping off the cieling.

Our garage has a side partition kind of an addition lean to thingy. When I run the torpedo heater, I place it in the partition and blow the heat in through the open door. This slightly reduces the odor and humidity.

Given the cost of installing a full furnace, I think I woucl probably replace all of my tools for the price differential. I do not have a machine shop in my garage. If I need those types of toools, I just join a club for a month and use theirs. Theey worry about all the maintainence and for $132 a month I can use about $1 million worth of tools and space. It seems follish for me to try to build my own machine shop to use once in a blue moon. I do not have that much room in my garage anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House