Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

The question is, do I get gutters or do I take this one time treatment (from company ads I've heard on local TV) that will support the slab on this clay soil? I'd prefer to not have to clean gutters, myself, but that's me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If this is just at outside of slab then its called stabilizing and is not like reams thru put the salb., You still want to control flooding especially at edges next to slab. That is why even during draught you want to place watering about 18 inches from slab edge.If done when slab was poured they would ahve unreamed the slab to prescibed depth thruout the slab at just at edges.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
My first question would be-
Is there anything wrong with the slab now?
How old is the slab? If it's not that old it maybe a PTC (Post-Tension Cable) slab. And I certainly wouldn't want some jack-leg outfit screwing with something that ain't broke!

Cleaning gutters is a Helluva lot cheaper than having to repair a slab- welcome to home ownership.
Be penny wise, and not pound foolish!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Before anybody can give you any kind of answer you're going to need to give up more info. Where is the house? What is the PI of the soil? What manner are they going to "treat" the foundation- piers, mud injection,? Most often an engineer will require guttering to carry away any water from the foundation but that also includes drainage issues around the house. There needs to be at least a one foot drop from the slab out ten feet or expect issues. You'll also need to water the foundation in the summer time. Soaker hoses are yer friend. In most areas 2 hours per side of slab per week gets it. You can control how dry it gets under the slab by watering but you can't always control how wet it gets, as in some of our downpours here. Look at the clay soils in Texas as a big sponge. When it dries, it shrinks. When it gets wet it swells. By watering you are limiting the shrinkage/movement. In high PI soil areas in Texas you can have up to 16" of vertical displacement or in easier terms, your house can be moving up and down from the driest to the wettest periods up to 16". In high PI areas you'll also note that the streets are more like roller coasters and in a lot of areas the curbs are no longer straight and it looks like a drunk monkey put the street in. It's due to the expansion and contraction of the clay soils. Imagine what it's doing under yer house. But not all foundation systems are created equal. Make sure to research any system before buying off on one. AVOID the steel ones as the acids in our soils turns the steel to mush in a few years.
Now just what are they offering and what warranty?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
My first question would be-
Is there anything wrong with the slab now?
How old is the slab? If it's not that old it maybe a PTC (Post-Tension Cable) slab. And I certainly wouldn't want some jack-leg outfit screwing with something that ain't broke!

Cleaning gutters is a Helluva lot cheaper than having to repair a slab- welcome to home ownership.
Be penny wise, and not pound foolish!
It's about fourteen years old. So far, no problems, but the wife is concerned. She want's to get gutters in a bad way because she is concerned that sprinklers will damage the slab.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Before anybody can give you any kind of answer you're going to need to give up more info. Where is the house? What is the PI of the soil? What manner are they going to "treat" the foundation- piers, mud injection,? Most often an engineer will require guttering to carry away any water from the foundation but that also includes drainage issues around the house. There needs to be at least a one foot drop from the slab out ten feet or expect issues. You'll also need to water the foundation in the summer time. Soaker hoses are yer friend. In most areas 2 hours per side of slab per week gets it. You can control how dry it gets under the slab by watering but you can't always control how wet it gets, as in some of our downpours here. Look at the clay soils in Texas as a big sponge. When it dries, it shrinks. When it gets wet it swells. By watering you are limiting the shrinkage/movement. In high PI soil areas in Texas you can have up to 16" of vertical displacement or in easier terms, your house can be moving up and down from the driest to the wettest periods up to 16". In high PI areas you'll also note that the streets are more like roller coasters and in a lot of areas the curbs are no longer straight and it looks like a drunk monkey put the street in. It's due to the expansion and contraction of the clay soils. Imagine what it's doing under yer house. But not all foundation systems are created equal. Make sure to research any system before buying off on one. AVOID the steel ones as the acids in our soils turns the steel to mush in a few years.
Now just what are they offering and what warranty?
First, can you define "PI" for me? All this is new to me. I can tell you that this clay is relatively hard. If there is a weed, there is no tool I have that can dig it out...

With gutters, we'd probably need to re-do the whole yard, especially in the back yard because it tends to cause a small lake. The front yard tends to flow the water out to the street. The sides are level. And, as I said in another note, the house is thirteen years old. So far, no problems, except for a couple of damaged sprinkler heads.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM

PI- plasticity index

or Atterberg Limits

Texas has several soil types from sand to clay to rock
But generally, in your particular instance I'm sure you're referring to the clay- we called it "Black Gumbo" in E. TX.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
PI- plasticity index

or Atterberg Limits

But generally, in your particular instance I'm sure you're referring to the clay- we called it "Black Gumbo" in E. TX.
I've done A LOT of digging in it, by hand and machine, and called it many more things than that none of which can be placed in this thread!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
PI- plasticity index

or Atterberg Limits

I'm in the Texas Panhandle. It seems to me there are various types of soil in the city as well as in farm land. This clay is pretty tough stuff. There is no way in "heck" that I could use a tool to get rid of a weed, for example.

Looks to me like if there are "ground gutters" so to speak, then we might need them going front and back, but especially the back due to the fact that going to the back fence, it may need to be slanted away from the back of the house. No problem with the front of the house. There are a couple of spots in the front that may need some fill dirt. And I'm guessing the same kind of soil should go there as the stuff in the front yard.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I've done A LOT of digging in it, by hand and machine, and called it many more things than that none of which can be placed in this thread!

LOL! I had a lot of those names for it also.
I buried one of these to the axles one time in that stuff-

It had to sit there for two months before we could get it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House