Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,795,541 times

Advertisements

we just got our power back 2 whole weeks after the hurricane. Last night the house heated up fine but after turning it off this morning we could hear the gas boiler in the basement flip on and off repeatedly for about 20 seconds. Is it a dangerous situation? I heard about the house in some other state explode as a result of a malfunctioning "furnace" (not sure what the difference is). Between the whining noise I had posted about in the past and this erratic behavior, my biggest fear with this thing is an explosion. My office sits right above it in the house and so does the master bed above that. I want to know how likely are these things to go up in flames especially with the gas element? We used to have oil heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
...this morning we could hear the gas boiler in the basement flip on and off repeatedly for about 20 seconds.
Is it a dangerous situation?
Has that stopped since?

Newer equipment has a lot of extra controls and sensors that are more sensitive...
We could try to guess at which of these might be the underlying cause but frankly as the owner
you should be able to do that even better through familiarity with YOUR equipment
and having the owners manual and troubleshooting guide to read through.

It's probably fine but either way... call your service guy to go over everything.
And be available to have him go over it all *with you* listening and taking notes.

Quote:
We used to have oil heat.
Remember how every fall the oil company would send out a guy for a "tune up"?
You don't need that as much as with an oil burner... but boilers still need regular attention.

Quote:
...how likely are these things to go up in flames especially with the gas element?
Not very
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House