Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

"Why is this only necessary in Mobile Homes?"

The implicit reason is that there is a bias that people who live in manufactured housing are dumber. The stated reasons are that manufactured housing is less safe, subject to different building codes and blah blah blah. In point of fact, I've seen farmhouses burn to the ground from stove and chimney related problems, and the concepts involved have no way of discerning whether a house is manufactured, stick built, or built of straw. It makes things safer, it doesn't cost much, and isn't worth worrying over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Why is this only necessary in Mobile Homes?"

The implicit reason is that there is a bias that people who live in manufactured housing are dumber. The stated reasons are that manufactured housing is less safe, subject to different building codes and blah blah blah. In point of fact, I've seen farmhouses burn to the ground from stove and chimney related problems, and the concepts involved have no way of discerning whether a house is manufactured, stick built, or built of straw. It makes things safer, it doesn't cost much, and isn't worth worrying over.
We'll be grounding it. I was just wondering....

Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Why is this only necessary in Mobile Homes?
It is a good idea to ground metal fixtures, appliances, vents, water pipes, etc. in ANY home! (Or business.)

Note appliances like a washer, refrigerator, etc. are grounded via the 3rd prong on the plug.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM

In the directions, it mentioned it specifically under "mobile home installation". I would think it should be under the "general" instructions.
Anyway, we are not cutting corners. We have all double wall stove pipe and triple wall chimney pipe. The stove has a heat shield. We made our pad from Micore, so it's about an R-value of 2.5, over and beyond the 2 that is required.
Now, I need to learn how to build a TDF.....top-down fire. I've read about them in other threads, but never done it!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the help. Stove is installed and fire burning!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM

94 posts, read 204,369 times
Enjoy your new wood stove! Here's a picture of my little Country Striker.
Attached Thumbnails
Ground wire on wood stove-100_0114.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks! House is nice and toasty today without running the furnace. Love it!
Yours looks nice!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Be sure to get the "accessories" for your wood stove.

Fireplace "tools". Poker, shovel, etc.

I have a small metal trash can I shovel the ashes into. Even though the top of the ashes look cool, there can still be hot embers in there! Even 10 hours after the last fire.

Department stores sell "hearth rugs" which are semi-circular. These will not catch fire if an ember flies onto it.

Be sure you have working smoke detectors inside each bedroom and in the hall outside. And a carbon monoxide detector in the hall.

Get a good big fire extinguisher and place that about 15 feet away from the wood stove.

Get a magnetic chimney temperature gauge. This just sticks on the outside of the chimney above the stove where you can see it. It will say if the chimney is over temperature. If too hot, you can damper it down (close the air intake). Or if too large of a fire is built, a few squirts of the fire extinguisher will calm the fire down quickly.

I also use my chimney temperature gauge to tell if the chimney is hot enough yet after building a fire for it to have draft (and I can then close the door). Also if there is enough heat left to place another log on and no need to bother lighting it. (If too cool, then I need to light it.)

Also a kitchen range oven temperature gauge is handy top place on the top surface of the woodstove. Then you can see if the surface it hot enough to cook / boil water, etc.

I have separate "paper" trash cans around the house. Since installing my woodstove, I now like "junk mail". Election time is wonderful! Great to help start fires. About 2/3 of my trash is paper.

And last you can add the dog laying on that hearth rug in front of the fire!

Chimney thermometer...
bookofjoe: Magnetic Wood Stove Thermometer

Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the great hints!!! Wood stoves are much different than fireplaces. I'll get a thermometer. How do I know how hot a double wall stove pipe should be?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
...How do I know how hot a double wall stove pipe should be?
Hummm... My stovepipe is single wall inside the house up to the ceiling (double above that). I don't know if that chimney thermometer would work if yours is double wall inside the house?

Maybe place it down low right where the chimney meets the woodstove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House