Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times

Advertisements

I got a very nice Gordan Ramsey set from my work for about 45 bucks... That was a good deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 AM

316 posts, read 660,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, a long time ago when the local K-Mart store closed its doors, I bought a set of Martha Stuart stainless steel pots and pans. These are heavy and built like a tank. The best and cheapest set I have ever seen
Isn't this the woman that was rewarded five years in prison and $250,000 in fines?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What and the best and worst celebrity cookware brands.....and or the best on celeb brands?
What are your experiences, comments, reviews? Also do you know which manufacturers makes which celeb brands?)

I bought my mom an Emeril Lagasse stainless steel set. And I was pleased.

These plus any others I can't recall??

Emeril Lagasse (T-fal and Warever makes his lines)
Wolfgnag Puck
Rachel Ray
Mario Batali
Todd English...and others
Paula Deen

Allclad........ Calphalon....... Circulon
Cuisinart...... Farberware.....T-Fal
Le Cruset......Kitchen Aid.....Warever.......Revere

The Todd English GreenPan line is pure junk. The non-stick lining fails after around two uses as do most non-sticks it seems. Invest in some good old-fashioned Le Creuset. It's durable and cleans up well.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Isn't this the woman that was rewarded five years in prison and $250,000 in fines?
What does that have to do with anything? Jay

Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
I don't know why it is but I often find really beautiful high quality enamaled cast iron pots in thrift stores. These can cost hundreds of dollars and I guess the people who take them in don't know what the have. Usually they look like they have never been used. I have found French, German and English made ones in a variety of great colours.

25 years ago I bought a set of heavy stainless Lagostina cookwear at Sears for around $200 at their typical 70% off sale. They have been very good and are still almost perfect all these years later. They are not much different than that "Lifetime" cookware that direct salespeople sell for around $2500 and up a set. {Good quality but a real ripoff}.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Some of the best food I have had has been from certain restaurants.

And those restaurants buy their pots and pans from a restaurant supply and they are a reasonable price - no "names" on these.

Note the chiefs at these restaurants go to professional cooking school where they learn the "science" of cooking. I assure you they could produce the most yummy foods on the cheapest of pans purchased at a 2nd hand store!

(Might want to spend those thousands of dollars on cooking school instead...)

Old 11-23-2012, 02:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Some of the best food I have had has been from certain restaurants.

And those restaurants buy their pots and pans from a restaurant supply and they are a reasonable price - no "names" on these.

Note the chiefs at these restaurants go to professional cooking school where they learn the "science" of cooking. I assure you they could produce the most yummy foods on the cheapest of pans purchased at a 2nd hand store!

(Might want to spend those thousands of dollars on cooking school instead...)
Why spending all that money when you can buy a real good set of pans for under $100.00? Besides, I like to cook my own foods. This way only my fingers touch it before I eat it.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
I skulked the thrift stores and bought vintage '50s and '60s Farberware and Revereware. It's typically priced at $1 for lids, $2-$6 per pot without a lid, usually $8 for a pot with matching lid, and $5 - $15 for skillets ranging from 1-egg size up to the big chicken fryer with the lid. But one of those thrift stores has 1/2 price days on housewares, and I got a lot of my pieces for half the usual thrift store price. They aren't heavy. I picked ones that were still flat across the bottom.

You scrub them with Brillo or SOS pad or the knockoffs, then polish them with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish, and they look great. Some of my relatives received Revereware and Farberware as wedding gifts back in 1950-1952, and have used that same cookware once if not twice daily almost every day since then, and it's nowhere near worn out yet. An added bonus is that it's NOT heavy and it's ideally suited to women and elderly. :-)

So go pay $2500 and mope. I've spent maybe $150 and I have vast quantities, haha. Sometimes I even sell some for a good profit on ebay.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 11-25-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Good idea (thrift shops). Sometimes some excellent deals can be found at those places. Years ago when silver was cheap and while stationed at McClellan AFB, I found a solid-silver table knife made by Alaska Silver. If I well remember I didn't pay more than 50 cents for the knife, probably because whoever saw it on display didn't realize that it was made of silver, and also because it was not a good-looking knife. Nobody wanted to but the ugly thing. It's very plain, and not sharp at all. The blade looks more like a knife one would use to spread peanut butter on bread So, I picked the knife and looked at it in detail, noticed that "Alaska Silver" stamp on it, and since Alaska was my home State, I just had to buy it.

I stop by the local Salvation Army thrift shop every now and then to buy pretty glasses and dishes I use daily and end-up dropping on the granite counter or on the tiled-floor. But sometimes I find little treasures or real good-looking glass or ceramic items that I put away. People often break a glass or two from an expensive set, and take the rest to the thrift shop. I can't resist not buying a good-looking (or two) glass I can use to pour in some wine at dinner. If I drop and break the glass, not big loss. The expensive ones are left in the cabinet.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-25-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My Revereware is 30 years old. A few years back, the handle on one of the saucepans started to loosen. I took it to the local Revereware outlet, and they exchanged it for a new saucepan. No charge.

Can't beat that.

No celebrities needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House