Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times

Advertisements

Looking to remove the carpet in our entire upstairs in our split-level. We have a dog, a cat, and two young boys. The floors will take a BEATING.

I like wood, but we are seriously considering strand bamboo. We brought some wood samples and strand bamboo samples home and beat on them. Nothing touched the strand bamboo - we couldn't dent or scratch it until I got out a bottle opener. The same force that it took to put a nick in the bamboo put a gouge in the wood (just birch, I think, on that sample, but wow, it was a major gouge).

So, my husband is in love with the bamboo. But thinking ahead, I worry about resale. Everybody likes wood; not everyone loves bamboo. Strand bamboo looks quite a bit like wood, and the one we're looking at buying (Teragren or possibly Higuera) is very-low-VOC (important to me), but it costs as much as a good maple I liked ($6.50 vs $7.25 a sq ft). This stuff is going to cost an arm and a leg.

I worry about denting, scratching, and slightly more expensive product with maple. And there's a huge factor too with my husband WORRYING about the wood. He will make us miserable being in the house if he's afraid it will dent or scratch all the time. With the bamboo, he's less worried. Less nagging is good.

I worry about scratching, discoloration, and resale if we use bamboo. It's difficult to find good information on this for strand. Lots of people upset at cheap bamboo, or soft horizontal planks under dog claws, or caramelized planks that discolored. But I can't tell what happens with strand bamboo over time. One of the rooms does get very bright light for part of the year.

Anyone have experience with maple and kids and animals and how it holds up? Or with natural strand bamboo and if it's as strong as it looks and whether it fades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I wouldn't worry about resale so much because you'll have buyers in either camp who don't like a specific material, or worry about durability unless you're planning to move in a couple of years....and if that's the case go the least expensive route possible and forget about your design aesthetic and go for something more universally appealing like oak or light cherry. If you plan to stay I'd recommend Maple. Maple is one of the most durable choices for flooring and would urge you to buy the better quality as the sample of Birch you picked up doesn't replicate the same durability. Bellawood at Lumber Liquidators is the way to go. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I, too, am looking at bamboo because for the durability. I think that resale is not a problem as long as it looks beautiful.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
I don't think bamboo would hurt resale. If anything it would help attract a lot of buyers. It's "green" and sustainable flooring. Strand bamboo should hold up to wear and tear. I've read good things about Teragren and EcoTimber. EcoFusion has a lower cost line and I bought about 1000 sqft for my house - love it. I have kids and pets and dropped a few things and so far not a scratch. The Eco lines are made without urea formaldehyde unlike a lot of other bamboo flooring. Dark colored bamboo does fade if it gets a lot of direct sunlight. Dust also tends to be more noticeable. I'm pretty sure dents or scratches would be more visible also. Light color doesn't fade or isn't noticeable. I had it for three years in an older home.

Stay away from Lumber Liquidators (LL) bamboo flooring. I originally bought from there but after some research, I came across several forum threads about people complaining about strong chemical odors that would not go away for years! LL definitely removes/ blocks negative flooring reviews on their website. After a ton of back and forth I got my money refunded. Total nightmare and reading complaints on the web, I know I wasn't the only one.

I highly reccomend looking online to buy flooring. I searched for flooring in at least a dozen brick and mortar shops within a 75 mile radius of where I live. All the high quality bamboo flooring was expensive in that $6-8 range. I then expanded my search by looking online and found a store on the other side of the country. They just dropshipped to my house straight from the manufacturer. Saved over $2K.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The only thing that bothers me about this, SXN, is how would you know that the bamboo flooring from across the country wouldn't be stinky too? At least Lumber Liquidators is local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House