Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM

519 posts, read 3,906,351 times

Advertisements

Looking to install a privacy fence in our backyard. We're between PVC or wood (red cedar) and I'm wondering what the advantage is of picking one over the other.

The searches I've done, this is what I've read:

From my understanding, they both require little maintenance.
I've read that PVC will last longer than wood.
PVC is not as sturdy as wood.
PVC has better curb appeal.

Why are so many anti-PVC for a fence? By looking at pictures, they look very nice but I've never seen one in person. I've seen the wooden painted white but I've never seen a white PVC up close.

So I turn to you experts, price aside, is one better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
How many times are you going to ask the same question?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...intenance.html

Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Good memory Kledge. I was going to answer that till I saw a page full of answers on the link you provided. I guess the answers will be different weeks later.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM

519 posts, read 3,906,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
And what question is that? My question in that thread was specifically about the maintenance required on a wooden fence. My question was answered thoroughly. Not at any time did I ask if one was better than the other.

What I'm asking now is if one is better than the other.
Along the lines of sturdiness, durability, and other factors I haven't considered.
What I'm asking is why are so many anti-PVC.
Have you worked on a PVC fence wouldn't recommend it because of X,Y, and Z.
With so many contractors in this forum, I was hoping maybe someone could have chimed in with stories
as to why PVC is not a good choice for a fence.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,916,035 times
The major problem with PVC fencing is that algae grows on it. It needs to be scrubbed down at least once a year, and in humid areas even more. Apparently dust lands on the plastic, then algae grows on the dust so an algae retardant painted on, or inside, the plastic is not very effective.

A second problem is that when something breaks the fence (a large animal running through or a falling tree) the shards that remain are very sharp. This is presumedly only a problem for livestock fences where you prefer not to have your horse, for example, impaled.

However, a well planned PVC fence does look very nice where the fence is meant to be a visual part of the landscape. PVC lasts a long time, should not sag, and never needs painting---just regular cleaning.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 AM

2,383 posts, read 2,952,271 times
The idea of a wood fence is so much more appealing than the idea of a pvc fence, but after driving around town looking at fences, 95% of the wood ones looked awful and 100% of the pvc ones looked great. I knew that we were not willing to commit to doing better maintenance than 95% of the wood fence owners, so we went with pvc. Your climate is very different than ours in Florida, so that may make a difference, but wood fences here don't seem to handle the elements well at all. As far as algae goes, we've had our fence for about a year and it still looks brand new with no algae. We did have a neighbor's tree fall on it during a storm and although one section broke apart, none of the pieces broke and it was easily put back together with no harm done. I didn't think I would love it as much as I do since the thought of a plastic fence is so awful, but it's been great.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Looking to install a privacy fence in our backyard. We're between PVC or wood (red cedar) and I'm wondering what the advantage is of picking one over the other.

The searches I've done, this is what I've read:

From my understanding, they both require little maintenance.
I've read that PVC will last longer than wood.
PVC is not as sturdy as wood.
PVC has better curb appeal.

Why are so many anti-PVC for a fence? By looking at pictures, they look very nice but I've never seen one in person. I've seen the wooden painted white but I've never seen a white PVC up close.

So I turn to you experts, price aside, is one better than the other?
My opinion is that a good quality cedar fence is far better than a PVC one.

Over the years I've seen far too many PVC fences that have been in direct sun and have warped, sagged & twisted. Extreme heat, and extreme cold, are hard on PVC fences.

If you want a cedar fence that will look good and last a long time, two things are necessary: Good quality wood, and regular maintenance.

I'd go with cedar every time.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,081,147 times
I live in Florida so I don;t have that extreme of temperatures. I have experience with both fences.

Cedar Fence - It's the natural choice which is always good - but if you don;t want a fence that turns grey don't get a cedar fence. I have always had to pressure wash my cedar fence each year to get the grey off and then put a clear stain on it. Still turns grey the next year or two. Deep pigment stains look like paint... and well... that's just ugly.

PVC Fence - No need to replace boards that crack or warp. You will need to pressure was the fence each year... but no need to paint/stain. If a panel of your fence breaks, you can replace just that one small piece. Not all PVC fences are created equal, so you must do some research and educate yourself.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
PVC for is like a house with viivl siding .Attempt at fade wood look;just does loo good to me. Some like it for less maintenance tho and its fine with them.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM

19,377 posts, read 22,315,065 times
I like wood because it's a sustainable, renewable resource. I have seen PVC crack, splinter and warp..

It's obviously a preference, but I just like wood. A properly constructed wooden fence is sturdy, aesthetically appealing, and in my opinion not difficult to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House