U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:42 PM

89 posts, read 313,215 times
Default black vs stainless steel appliances.

I cannot decide between black & stainless steel appliances for my new home. Home builders offers black appliances for just little less than the msrp value. I choose cherrywood cabinets in kitchen. can you guys please share your views and pros and cons of black vs stainless steel.I googled, but wasnt able to find the best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 PM

437 posts, read 6,045 times
Personally, we like the black. We have had other colors, but like the black we currently have in place.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun196 View Post
I cannot decide between black & stainless steel appliances for my new home. Home builders offers black appliances for just little less than the msrp value. I choose cherrywood cabinets in kitchen. can you guys please share your views and pros and cons of black vs stainless steel.I googled, but wasnt able to find the best choice.
Some time ago I saw a huuuge discussion about this on the Home forum. Stainless steel looks cool, but you have to clean fingerprints all the time. Particularly if you have kids, it'll be a pain in the rear.

So far I haven't had black or stainless appliances, but I'm having a new house built as well and went through all the models to check out the different combinations. Not sure exactly what your cherrywood cabinets look like (how dark), but the ones I saw were called paprika, which I'm thinking would be similar... IMO they didn't go very well with black appliances. Black looks better with lighter-color cabinets.

To tell you the truth, I was tempted by the newer smooth black fridges, but may end up buying a textured one, even though I live alone and will use the handles as opposed to leaving little hands on the surface. There was a consensus in this discussion that the textured black fridges are the easiest to keep good-looking.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 10,539,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To tell you the truth, I was tempted by the newer smooth black fridges, but may end up buying a textured one, even though I live alone and will use the handles as opposed to leaving little hands on the surface. There was a consensus in this discussion that the textured black fridges are the easiest to keep good-looking.
In our last home, we bought a smooth black fridge as I couldn't stand the ridges on the others. The smooth black was beautiful and never had a problem with fingerprints or keeping it clean. It was always clean.

For a new home, with or without cherry cabinets, I'd always choose stainless. I'd like to replace mine one day with stainless. I love the look.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:20 PM

68 posts, read 818 times
Go with textured white--it will make your kitchen look brighter (lighter). The word is out amongst the yuppies that the Stainless appliances are a pain in the arse to keep clean.
Kind of like white tile floors; very unpractical.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,848,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun196 View Post
I've gone down this trail a number of times, Arun . . . go with "textured" BLACK!

As others have posted, Stainless Steel is more difficult to keep clean and even the smallest dent shouts out, "look at me"!

Good Luck

Old 10-14-2007, 04:06 PM

8,282 posts, read 10,066,596 times
We have black now and had stainless back in our other home. I like stainless, because our black shows every little spot and dust here is something to deal with.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:08 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
In our last home, we bought a smooth black fridge as I couldn't stand the ridges on the others. The smooth black was beautiful and never had a problem with fingerprints or keeping it clean. It was always clean.

For a new home, with or without cherry cabinets, I'd always choose stainless. I'd like to replace mine one day with stainless. I love the look.
I'm not very fond of the textured black ones, either, but I did try to leave fingerprints on the smooth black fridge in the store, and it was a piece of cake... As I said, I'm not really gonna do it much myself, but still... Who knows... may go with beauty over practicality again... Won't be the first time (unfortunately it can apply to people as well ), but I draw the line at shoes! Don't care how pretty they are if I can't walk in them.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,795,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some time ago I saw a huuuge discussion about this on the Home forum. Stainless steel looks cool, but you have to clean fingerprints all the time. Particularly if you have kids, it'll be a pain in the rear.

So far I haven't had black or stainless appliances, but I'm having a new house built as well and went through all the models to check out the different combinations. Not sure exactly what your cherrywood cabinets look like (how dark), but the ones I saw were called paprika, which I'm thinking would be similar... IMO they didn't go very well with black appliances. Black looks better with lighter-color cabinets.

I was on that home forum too and could not decide between the 2. Stainless seems to be a popular choice but it shows everything. I went back and forth and eventually chose black but I wasn't sure if I made the right choice although I loved the look with my light cabinets.

I think Stainless or black with look good with the cherry cabinets.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 PM

88 posts, read 356,157 times
I personally love the look of stainless with cheery cabinets- and they do have appliances of stainless that do not show the fingerprints,etc. Off hand I don't know which brands tho... you could do a search for the them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House